Using 2 routers
bbj1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I want to setup a security DVR (needs ethernet connection) on the 2nd floor of my home, however my FIOS router (Actiontec MI424-D) is located on the 1st floor. I have a old Linksys wireless G router that I can use, but I am unable to run a ethernet cable between the two. Is there a way I can get these 2 routers to talk to each other so that I can plug the DVR into the Linksys router.

Labels (1)
Re: Using 2 routers
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I hope someone else can shed some light on what you want to do but I think you may be able to put new software on your router from  wwdrt.com.  I used this when I had my wrt54g router.  It gives your router new feature/functionailty and I thought it had a feature in the wireless that you can bridge a wireless LAN connection.

Unless someone else has a thought about it try going to wwdrt.com and look for your specific linksys router.  If you dont like the software you can always reinstall the linksys software back on from the linksys web site.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think you mean DD-WRT.com , am I correct? 🙂

Once DD-WRT is loaded onto the Linksys, you will need to configure the Linksys, using an Ethernet connection to run as a Wireless Client Bridge. Use this Wiki entry to configure the Linksys.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

Once that is set up you should be able to plug the DVR into the Linksys and it should work with the rest of the network.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2
Yes thanks I did mean dd-wrt. It's been a number of years since I've used it.
bbj1
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks Smith6612 & Jumpin68ny for your quick replies...I will check out dd-wrt (thanks for the link also).

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem 🙂

Just a tip about DD-WRT, make sure you disable Remote Administration when you first set up the router. When I first installed DD-WRT, it was enabled by default. I disabled it since I did not want the router to be managed from the Web. The Interface is pretty similar to Linksys routers, so you shouldn't have too hard of a time getting your way around it.

0 Likes
bbj1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks agin