WiFi to WiFi communication not working
remodb
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have Verizon FiOS internet and a Verizon Ultraline 9100em router (firmware 1.03.00.08) handling my home's network. I have two WiFi connected laptops, a desktop computer and printer connected via Ethernet and an iPhone and Wii both connected via WiFi. Recently communication between WiFi-connected devices has stopped working. Ping and traceroute from a WiFi device to another WiFi device fails. Ping and traceroute from a WiFi device to a wired device (and viceversa) works as expected. The firewall is set to "Typical Security" and no custom firewall or routing settings have been applied. 

What could be causing this issue? Does Verizon apply firmware changes periodically behind the scenes and a firmware update modified a setting causing the issue? And how do I get communication working again?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: WiFi to WiFi communication not working
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Try disabling the IGMP proxy.

Click on the Advanved icon.
Select IGMP proxy from the menu.
Select Disabled from the first pulldown.
Click Apply.

0 Likes
willjl0
Enthusiast - Level 1

Having the same problem.  Disabling that did not help.

0 Likes
willjl0
Enthusiast - Level 1

<bump>

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Find the ip address of the machine you are connecting from, and to.  What are they?

i.e. 192.168.1.x  or 192.168.2.x

Also did you enable sharing in windows 7?

maybe also try disabling your firewall.

0 Likes
willjl0
Enthusiast - Level 1

I disabled my firewall and it did not help.

If I connect my laptops with network cables to the router everything pings fine.  If they're connected through the wifi network, then nothing pings.

If they are on either wired or wifi connections everything is using the same subnet, /24 using 192.168.1.x from DHCP

Also disabling igmp proxy does not help, if anything it causes problems with video streaming.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It's been a good solution for a lot of people, After Verizon enabled it, a lot of people lost wifi communications especially with regards to apple products, and Tivo's and anything using Bonjour services.   the multi casting is for Area's of verizon where they deliver their guide using multi casting.   So it shouldn't affect your video. It hasn't for me at least, and I am a video streaming hog, both over the net, and through my LAN using media servers. 

0 Likes