911 being dialed from my number!!
maresy1
Enthusiast - Level 1

First I have nothing but static and cannot recieve or place calls. This happens when my area is having a snow or rain storm. VERY annoying,but something even stranger happened. For the 2nd time in 1 year.my local police showed up to my residence,responding to a 911 call from my phone! Once,late at night(no storm that time) and today,while I was outside shoveling snow..no where near my phone. Of course I called for some assistance,but Verizon is too busy to offer a real representative. Has anyone else ever had this occur? Could a Verizon technician PLEASE advise??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 911 being dialed from my number!!
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other Verizon customers here.  Sometimes the moderators escalate issues to Verizon support.  If that happens to your issue, pay attention to the instructions they post to communicate with support.

As for your specific issue, it's not uncommon for failing phones to dial numbers stored in memory.  If you have a phone with 911 programmed on a speed dial or memory, it may be the culprit.

If you know where your Network Interface Device (NID) is, you should use it to check the line the next time you have a problem.  The NID allows you to easily isolate the Verizon line from all of your phones and in-home wiring.  Bring a known, working phone to the NID and plug it in.  If it works, the problem is in your home.  If the problem doesn't go away, it's with Verizon.

You can find more details here:

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/phone/homephone/general+support/phone+troubleshooting/cal...

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking to other Verizon customers here.  Sometimes the moderators escalate issues to Verizon support.  If that happens to your issue, pay attention to the instructions they post to communicate with support.

As for your specific issue, it's not uncommon for failing phones to dial numbers stored in memory.  If you have a phone with 911 programmed on a speed dial or memory, it may be the culprit.

If you know where your Network Interface Device (NID) is, you should use it to check the line the next time you have a problem.  The NID allows you to easily isolate the Verizon line from all of your phones and in-home wiring.  Bring a known, working phone to the NID and plug it in.  If it works, the problem is in your home.  If the problem doesn't go away, it's with Verizon.

You can find more details here:

http://www.verizon.com/Support/Residential/phone/homephone/general+support/phone+troubleshooting/cal...

Good Luck.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Lines with heavy static often dial random numbers, since the problem causing the static (short, corrosion, or loose connection) places just enough load on the line to make it go off hook, and the nature of the problem will cause static to be interpreted as an old pulse-dial rotary phone.

You will need to first troubleshoot this issue by checking to see if static is present at your NID first. This will give you an idea as to whether or not the problem is in your home or on Verizon's end. The NID is usually found near your electrical panel, electrical meter, or your home's common ground. If the NID is newer, it should contain a test jack which will allow you to plug a wired phone in for the sake of testing. It also temporarily disconnects your home's wiring while in use to isolate the problem.

If static is present at the NID, call Verizon from another phone line. When you get far enough in the phone menu, regardless of the phone system saying there is a problem, or it asks you to test at the NID, press 0 to speak to someone. Someone will answer within 5 to 10 minutes from my experience. Also, if you can't test at the NID easily because it requires you to do the wiring manually, and you are not comfortable doing this, let a tech come out and locate the problem.

You do have to call for this though. If the problem gets worse you'll have bigger problems than 911 being dialed.