All FIOS Digital Voice Calls Muted - corded phone does not have mute
FastInternet999

Hello everyone! We have FIOS Digital Voice. We can send and receive calls. However, we can only hear the outside party. They cannot hear us. I plugged a basic corded phone, with no mute option, directly into the ONT for debugging purposes. Same issue exists. I can send and receive calls, hear a dial tone when I take the receiver off the cradle, but no one can hear me during a call. When I plug directly into Line 1 on the ONT, that means all other inside wiring is disconnected, so there is no chance of an internal house wiring issue. Any thoughts on how to approach this issue? We maintain the landline for 911 service with the kids, and obviously that is useless now. My wife and I work from home, so we are afraid that if the ONT is failing, restart or resetting the ONT would result in loss of internet access. If this is a know issue, can someone link me to the solution?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: All FIOS Digital Voice Calls Muted - corded phone does not have mute
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the problem is duplicated with different telephone sets direct connected to the ONT, try power cycling the ONT.

If that doesn't work, open a trouble report with Verizon repair to have the ONT replaced and further testing done to resolve the problem.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the problem is duplicated with different telephone sets direct connected to the ONT, try power cycling the ONT.

If that doesn't work, open a trouble report with Verizon repair to have the ONT replaced and further testing done to resolve the problem.

FastInternet999

Power cycling the ONT worked. I now am able to transmit voice again on my landline.

However, I am concerned that there is no indicator that something is wrong for this situation. If I do not use the phone often, but do require a 911 call, there is no way to allow for a multiple minute reset.

Thanks for your help!

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

For the short term, an occasional test call to a friend or family member to check for proper functionality might be worth it.

If the trouble returns, reach out to Verizon Customer Service to have the ONT tested and, if needed, replaced.

I can't remember having problems making or receiving calls during the 14 years I've been a FiOS subscriber. 🙂