Blocking calls by "Caller ID"
broom1

Over the past few months (even though my numbers are on the "Do not call list") I have been getting more and more calls with the caller ID of "Marketing"!    I like many here I'm sure hate this crap and usually just pick up and hang up.

The problem really becomes an issue when I am not home and my VM picks up; I am getting so many that I have to go threw before I get to my real voice mails that I am wishing for a way I can just block by the CID or "Marketing".

Anyone else?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Blocking calls by "Caller ID"
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

If they are not completely blocking it, you should also have a phone number that you can try and block.  Of course they often have completely phoney info and you can't block them.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@broom wrote:

Over the past few months (even though my numbers are on the "Do not call list") I have been getting more and more calls with the caller ID of "Marketing"!    I like many here I'm sure hate this crap and usually just pick up and hang up.

The problem really becomes an issue when I am not home and my VM picks up; I am getting so many that I have to go threw before I get to my real voice mails that I am wishing for a way I can just block by the CID or "Marketing".

Anyone else?

Yes.  The Caller ID information is being spoofed so there's no way to block the caller.  They change all the time.  I use your same hangup process.

0 Likes
catraveler

I have been getting the same irrating calls for a number of years.  There are some online sites that will identify those suspecious numbers, and you can leave comments.  You can also report them to the FCC.gov site, not that they will instantly stop the calls.  My landline phone is a Panasonic Detc 6, with a 30 # caller ID and call block memory. Any number you enter in the call block will only ring once, then the line is hung up. To bad I can't program the "SIT" tone for the call block to use, that would be the end of that caller.  Check out  Telezapper II .  There are other products also. 

Verizon could block these "SPOOFED" calls easily,   the caller ID number shown is almost always an invalid or not in service number.  That violates the FCC 2010 " Truthin Calling" act.   If you dial the number shown, you will most always get the phone co's SIT tone and the message "the number you have dialed is no longer in service"  

Once again, I will say that Verizon could easily block any call with an invalid caller ID number, there system could check that befor you even get the first ring.  

Search "call blockers", Google has lots of answers. 

0 Likes