Caller ID and Cell Phones
LEN864
I just got caller id and see that cell phones seem to only show a phone number of who's calling but not the actual name of who's calling.  Is there anyway I can get cell phone callers identified on caller id with their name.  My wife has a cell phone and sometimes calls me while out of the house--it would be nice to not just see the phone number showing in caller id but her name as well.  Any help would be appreciated.  Regards, Len
0 Likes
Re: Caller ID and Cell Phones
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
Len, I don't believe that the caller ID will show the name of a cell phone caller.
0 Likes
LEN864

>Len, I don't believe that the caller ID will show the name of a cell phone caller. <

Thanks for this information--I'm kind of disappointed--with so many people now using cell phones to make call the value of caller ID loses some of its value for me.  Is there a way to check the caller id messages anywhere on the internet--something like a reverse caller id?  Regards, Len

0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2

On some phone systems you can get some of what you are looking for. On my Panasonic phones any call I receive from anyone in my in phone-phonebook shows the caller info. For example when I get a call from my friend Peter's cellphone, the caller ID on my phone shows "Peters Cell",  the same as it is listed in my phonebook. The same process occurs when I receive a call on my Verizon cellphone with caller ID.

Verizon also offers a feature in some areas called "call assistant', which may bring you some of the features you are lookin for. Check out the Verizon websight.

Message Edited by HenryFarpolo on 08-25-2008 11:35 AM
kvelling1
Contributor - Level 1

Cellular carriers do not utilize (do not deliver to the handset) the Calling Name portion of the Caller ID info --they have chosen to deliver only the calling phone number when available.

However, most cell phone handsets will display whatever 'indentification' you assign to a given phone number if/when you choose to save that phone number in your cell phone's phonebook or 'contacts'.  Cordless phones (for wireline) also may operate in this manner --that is, they will substitute the name you assign in the phone's phonebook for the Calling Name delivered by the landline phone compnay.

Message Edited by kvelling on 08-25-2008 04:56 PM
0 Likes
LEN864

>Verizon also offers a feature in some areas called "call assistant', which may bring you some of the features you are lookin for. Check out the Verizon websight.<

Thanks, I went to the website at  http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/Phone/Calling+Features/Home+Voice+Mail/Questions+and+Answer...

and found it interesting--I don't know if it will help that much but plan on researching it further.  Regards, Len

0 Likes