Can anyone at Verizon tell me if my Verizon landline will transfer to Verizon FIOS?
Chipwhich

I couldn't transfer my home phone number to Comcast.  I would switch to FIOS if I could get an answer from anyone at Verizon to tell me if it will transfer.  Comcast has a website where I can check it.  FIOS reps refuse to answer the question until after I place the order.  They say once my order is complete, I will be informed if it will transfer.

Is there anyone at Verizon that has the ability to answer a simple question?  Can I transfer my number?  With all the ads and mail I get to switch to FIOS, you would think they would have decent customer service to at least get me in the door.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can anyone at Verizon tell me if my Verizon landline will transfer to Verizon FIOS?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Chipwhich wrote:

On topic, I am trying to figure out if someone at Verizon can tell me if my number can port prior to ordering FIOS.

FYI, these forums are used for peer-to-peer communications.  If you want an answer from Verzion, you need to call or chat with them.

Number porting can be tricky sometimes due to the definition of "geographic area."  For example it may not be possible to port a number from a location within a city to the suburbs of that same city, even if it's just across the street.  A lot of this goes back the old Bell Systems and the way local calls were billed.

That said, I don't understand why a port from a Verizon landline to FDV at the same location would be an issue.  There may be some arcane corner of porting regulations that apply.

Another interesting bit is that the VoIP provides such as OOMA and Vonage don't appear to be limited by these geographic restrictions.  It seems to only  be an issue with the telco and cable companies that provide landline service.  You could try plugging your number into one of the VoIP provider's porting check web pages.  Chances are good if can be ported to a VoIP provider there shouldn't be any issue with porting to FiOS.  But, that's still just a guess.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Can anyone at Verizon tell me if my Verizon landline will transfer to Verizon FIOS?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

I do not think they can check if your number can be ported until after you place an order to port your number over.

0 Likes
Chipwhich

Amazing that Comcast has that ability, but Verizon who has my current number refuses.

Thank you for the response.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Odd because its not true.  Phone number portability is the law (or should I say FCC Rule).  And Verizon does it all the time as long as you meet the FCC requirements (http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers ).  They will certainly do if you are switching from Verizon landline to Verizon FIOS.

0 Likes
Chipwhich

Actually it is true.  That's why Comcast and Verizon can't guarantee portability.

My phone number is in a different cost center so it can't be ported to Comcast.  Or it's a pay center, or something.  You can contact Verizon, they will tell you the same.

On topic, I am trying to figure out if someone at Verizon can tell me if my number can port prior to ordering FIOS.

0 Likes
Sean3040-2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got FiOS one year ago

After being with Verizon (Bell Telephone) since 1992, we got FiOS

Landlines can be transferred to FiOS

There is no fee for this. If they bill you the $4.99, ask for an adjustment, since it's Verizon to Verizon

Also when you disconnect Verizon landline and go to FiOS your account number will change.

Also the installation process for FiOS is anywhere from 2-6 hours depending on whether you are getting 1,2 or 3 services and the number of cable boxes.

Finally check for additional discounts Verizon Connections up to $10 off a Verizon Triple Play. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Chipwhich wrote:

Actually it is true.  That's why Comcast and Verizon can't guarantee portability.

My phone number is in a different cost center so it can't be ported to Comcast.  Or it's a pay center, or something.  You can contact Verizon, they will tell you the same.

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers

"Under the Federal Communications Commission's "local number portability" rules, you can switch telephone service providers for wireline, wireless or Voice over Internet Protocol and keep your existing phone number if you remain in the same geographic area. If you are moving from one geographic area to another, however, you may not be able to take your number with you."

Cost center doesn't matter Moving "out of the same geographic area" does.  And Verizon certainly will do it for converting existing landline to FIOS.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Chipwhich wrote:

FYI, these forums are used for peer-to-peer communications.  If you want an answer from Verzion, you need to call or chat with them.

Number porting can be tricky sometimes due to the definition of "geographic area."  For example it may not be possible to port a number from a location within a city to the suburbs of that same city, even if it's just across the street.  A lot of this goes back the old Bell Systems and the way local calls were billed.

That said, I don't understand why a port from a Verizon landline to FDV at the same location would be an issue.  There may be some arcane corner of porting regulations that apply.

Another interesting bit is that the VoIP provides such as OOMA and Vonage don't appear to be limited by these geographic restrictions.  It seems to only  be an issue with the telco and cable companies that provide landline service.  You could try plugging your number into one of the VoIP provider's porting check web pages.  Chances are good if can be ported to a VoIP provider there shouldn't be any issue with porting to FiOS.  But, that's still just a guess.

Good Luck.

0 Likes