DO NOT USE NOMOROBO!
FSSimon1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon recommended Nomorobo to put a stop to unwanted phone calls. I signed up and immediately started having 10X more problems with unwanted calls than before. I also installed the app on my Android phone (BEFORE READING THE REVIEWS) and got a pop up message alerting me that my phone was heavily damaged by viruses I picked up by visiting adult sites. The alert included a button to click to remove the viruses. Well, just so you know, I've never visited an adult site, and I know enough to know when I am being scammed into downloading malware. I went back to the Nomorobo site and tried to delete my account, but guess what? You can't delete your account. You can "delete" your phone number, but they keep your name and email address. And guess what else? You can't call them. I sent in a ticket and requested that my account be deleted, and guess what happened? I receive an automated reply that was utter nonsense. Verizon should warn readers against using the product instead of encouraging it and allowing integration with it.

Re: DO NOT USE NOMOROBO!
jonjones1
Legend

The nomorerobo is a highly acclaimed service that has been stopping scammers for quite sometime. 

It is possible your number was already compromised with scammer listing the phone number all over on the dark web to other scammers. Yes that is what happens.

On my phone service I have used it, however it worked too well. 

It blocked whole subsets which of course maybe legitimate phone calls.

i would just bite the bullit and get a number change. However I would caution you the previous owner more than likely ditched the number because of unwanted calls. So it is a gamble.

FSSimon1
Enthusiast - Level 2

The reason Nomorobo is considered "reputable" is that it won a FTC challenge for stopping robo calls, but the FTC did not vert the company's business practices. My complaints are about the business practices. And, I am not the only person complaining. Just check the iTunes and Google Play Store reviews and Google Nomorerobo reviews.

jonjones1
Legend

@FSSimon wrote:

The reason Nomorobo is considered "reputable" is that it won a FTC challenge for stopping robo calls, but the FTC did not vert the company's business practices. My complaints are about the business practices. And, I am not the only person complaining. Just check the iTunes and Google Play Store reviews and Google Nomorerobo reviews.

Well by searching as you recommended https://www.trustpilot.com/review/nomorobo.com

this site any many others actually on average give it a good rating. The displeasure with the app stores don’t mean to much. I have the ability to turn it on or off. I can also submit scammers phone numbers to them when one gets through. 

Like I said it worked too well for us...😀

your experience with them as with any service may vary.

juxta
Enthusiast - Level 3

For the app on your smartphone, perhaps you can instead use the phone setting that blocks all calls except from those in your phonebook?

I do that instead of using the nomorobo app though the landline phone blocking is awesome. 

I get maybe 5-8 telemarketers calls a day on my landline. The autodialers often continue the call until after my FIOS voicemail kicks in leaving me with 2-3 voicemails a day with only 3 seconds of silence.  Not only did the voicemail indicator blink on my landline phones from these silent voicemails (annoying because I don't know if I have a real voicemail or not), but I also have to periodically delete the silent voicemails.

With nomorobo the silent voicemails stopped and also the phone doesn't ring 5-7 times before the voicemail picks up. I tried setting my voicemail ring count to 3 (the minimum I believe) but that just caused more silent voicemails.  So far nomorobo has worked great but it's a lazy piecemeal solution from Verizon which is hopefully temporary. Verizon shouln't use a third-party interface to stop telemarketers. 

I would rather have Verizon automatically delete or not record a 3-5 second voicemail that is only silence. But so far (and by far) nomorobo is the best solution I have.

shollystuff
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a different (and even funny) issue witth Nomorobo. After setting up my account and setting up Simultaneous Ring in Verizon Digital Voice, a forwarding phone number is automatically put into the box provided. It's the number that robocalls are supposedly forwarded to. But now, when anyone calls my phone, instead of being forwarded to Nomorobo, they're being forwarded to TRUMP INTERNATIONAL RESORT!  Every phone call is being answered with "Thank You for calling the Trump International Resort".  I have complained to Nomorobo about this, but they haven't replied to my help request. How in the world did THAT phone number get placed into my Simultaneous Ring forwarding number field?

womandi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just so you know, I'm signed in to these community forums and it won't take my 'kudos' for your post. No wonder there's still zero kudos!

womandi
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actually, I'm looking at the app in the google play store right now. It has "ONLY" 50K downloads, 185 reviews, and rates 2.1 stars. That is NOT very good in my book. I think I'll pass! 

Mizellen

I just started using Nomorobo and it seems to be dong what it is supposed to.  It missed a couple of spam calls, but I am reporting them.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I have been using on my Verizon Home phone for several years, and my android phone since the app came out in January.

NoMoRobo is quite reputable and unlikely to be involved in any of the problems you mentioned.  I don't think they scan for virues and would give you the message you mentioned.  Is this message coming from some antivirus software you have?  If you got it from Google Play it should not contain Malware.  There are ways to contact them for support.  They do have phone contact numbers but would rather not have people call them,