FIOS phone line
bosslett
Enthusiast - Level 2

What type of phone line does Verizon use to connect the ONT to your existing phone on their FIOS system? Is it coaxial cable or what? Now I have copper lines and I am thinking about FIOS but I do not know what type of line they use to hook-up the ONT to your existing phone. A real simple answer would help since I am not very FIOS smart. Thanks

0 Likes
Re: FIOS phone line
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

When FiOS is installed, the installer will disconnect your existing house wiring for phone where it terminates on the current copper Dmark (outside your house) and reconnect it to the phone jack inside the ONT.   No change to your in house phone wiring is required.

FiOS is delievered to your house via Fiber Optic cable, but is distributed throughout your house using the existing infrastructure you have in place (phone on the phone wire, TV on the Coax, and internet on Ethernet or Coax as available).

0 Likes
grrltraveler

Lasagna,

I have been having trouble and Verizon says they won't revert to copper - if I wanted someone to pull the line out of the ONT and put it back to POTS, could I do that? I am trying to think of my options and you just explained something that I didn't understand.

Thanks

Anne

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Going back to copper line may be possible but you would have to see if the line from the house to the pole via copper still exists.  When i had Fios installed there were four lines (Electric, cable, Fiber Optic, Copper).  Today there is only two, (electric, FIOS).  

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@grrltraveler wrote:

Lasagna,

I have been having trouble and Verizon says they won't revert to copper - if I wanted someone to pull the line out of the ONT and put it back to POTS, could I do that? I am trying to think of my options and you just explained something that I didn't understand.

Thanks

Anne

Yes that is true. Once they provision fiber they will not provision copper service. But you could always insist on Phone only. Also even if you had copper service in most locations they will want you to switch from DSL to FiOS once it is available. Once fiber is available it is at their discretion as to how long they will provide DSL.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

The other concern about the copper line is they may remove the cross connect in the central office making the copper lines completely useless then you have no choice but to revert to the fiber optics line.  On a side note I use Vonage very successfully without issue.  The reason I don't switch to Verizon Phone is the features I get on Vonage plus I don't have to dial 10 digits to call my neighbor.  What do I lose?  Caller ID on the screen (assuming you have Fios TV).  We have Speaking Caller ID which is fine.  The phone is not all that important to us to know who's calling right away vs listening to the talking caller ID.

0 Likes