FIOS phone, static issue
MWNets78

Hi,

I switched to FIOS a couple of months ago, I've been having static on my phone off and on. The weird thing is, whenever I get static on my phone, I first go and check all the phone lines, all of them experience the same noise. I then plug a phone into the ONT. No static on the ONT. Here's the weird part, after I unplug the phone from the ONT, the static goes away from all the phone lines and the line will stay clear for a good couple of hours. Now, at first I though this was a fluke, but I tried this out a couple of times, and each time plugging a phone into the ONT, would resolve the issue.

I called tech support a couple of times, and they do a line test and see no problem. BTW, whenever I do have static, after Verizon does a line test, that clears up the static as well.

The phone tech support does not seem to know why this is happening, I was hoping that someone here would be able to help. This is getting really frustrating.

0 Likes
Re: FIOS phone, static issue
Barking_Pumpkin1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I use to have static problems on my line (especially when I had DSL).  Read on internet that wireless routers may cause interference with older phones.  The suggestion was to upgrade to DECT 6.0 phones.  I bought DECT 6.0 phones around the same time I dropped DSL and picked up FiOS.  Haven't had any static issues since.
0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

If you had staticon your phone, then took the same phone and plugged directly into the Ont, your basically disconnecting all your inside wires the moment you plug in.  The line showing no static indicates an inside wiring problem.  Ask yourself, does it appear when it's raining?  If so then maybe a wire outside is getting wet. 

I had one instance where the tech forgot to disconnect the old drop wire outside.  There was trouble in the line outside so it reflected back inside.  Check to see if it is disconnected.  I would also check the inside wiring andmake sure the connection is snug where he ran the wire from the Ont to your inside wiring.

0 Likes
drrich
Enthusiast - Level 3

My wife and I have had the FIOS phone system for only a week but we saw a great improvement. Our community has all of it's utilities underground. With the older copper wire system every time we had rain the phones would be loaded with static and often would cut out.  Everytime a service persons came to work in the phone boxes anywhere along our street it was a sure thing that one or more other residents would suddenly loose service.

The phone instruments were also problems. We have a number of phones - having lived in this house for almost 30 years. One is one of the early models of wireless phone. The other wireless is a Bell South instrument. Under the former connecting both of these had such low volume that my wife and I had trouble hearing the voices of incomming calls. With the FIOS system these phones are running loud and clear. In fact we now have to keep the ear piece a bit away from our ears since the volume is that much improved.

0 Likes