Re: how do I block calls with Anonymous or Private or Unavailable as the caller ID phone number
Hubrisnxs
Legend

For severe cases you guys might want to reach out to the Verizon Unlawful Call Center

The Verizon Unlawful Call Center (UCC) specializes in calls that fall into one of the categories listed below. To use the services of the UCC, you must be willing to take legal actions against the caller. 

Examples of unlawful calls:
  • Threat to Life (yours or someone else's)
  • Bomb Threats
  • Bodily Harm
  • Excessive Obscene or Harassing Calls (The definition of excessive varies by state but generally means more than two to five calls.)
  • Kidnapping
Verizon regularly works with Law Enforcement agencies to resolve unlawful call complaints. The Law Enforcement agency investigates all calls involving bodily harm, bomb threats and kidnapping. 

Unwanted Calls are usually not against the law and typically include:
  • Fax calls
  • Hang-up calls
  • Computer calls
  • Solicitation calls
  • Telemarketing calls
  • Debt collection calls
  • Obscene or Harassing Calls*
*If calls of this nature are deemed excessive, and you are willing to prosecute, we will handle as an unlawful call.
If you want to establish a case, call the Verizon Unlawful Call Center at 
1-800-257-2969, Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. with your complaint number to open a case.
If you want to hear a recorded message about how to use Call Trace, call 
877-TRACE4U (1-877-872-2348) at any time. To reach the Verizon Unlawful Call Center please call 1-1-800-257-2969. Their hours of operation are Monday - Friday 08:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Verizon will store Call Trace information for 90 days. You will be notified within 30 days if there is enough Call Trace information to be sent to a law enforcement agency. The action taken by law enforcement may vary by area. The records of all traced calls will be released to a law enforcement agency only.

See also:Legal Process Compliance
Security Control Center

Re: how do I block calls with Anonymous or Private or Unavailable as the caller ID phone number
BSPRTSGRP

Anthony_VZ....We've had FIOS for years but we recently switched to Digital Voice service in the last couple of weeks. Now we are getting all these Private/Announ/Funny phone numbers that did not get thru before to our home

What is the quick fix for this.....it's getting annoying. *77 does not aleviate these calls

Thanks

0 Likes
ramsey76
Contributor - Level 1

Increasing the number of telephone numbers  that can be blocked from 10 to 100 would help.

ramsey76
Contributor - Level 1

Increasing the number of telephone numbers  that can be blocked from 10 to 100 would help.

WesInMurphy
Enthusiast - Level 1

I see a phone number on my callerID, but "Unavaiable" as the name. I go to my VZ control panel on my account and can see the name of "Unavailable" as a call the just came thru. I click the name and then select "Call Block."

I get to the Call Block feature and the number that I see on my callerID is in the input box, so I select that as the number that I would like to block.

The next day I get a call from the same number and see that number on my "Call Log" online.

So, why doesn't the Call Block feature block this call?

The number matches the number on the list, so how can the system not block this.  I talked with Tech Sup and they said that it was due to the data in the callerID that was manipulated.

Doesn't sound like good programming to me. If the number on the Call Block list matches the number being displayed, then it sould be blocked. This is some simple programming.

I know the number works fine because I can call it back by selecting it and telling to to dial.

Any thoughts?

ggma11261
Contributor - Level 3

@ramsey76 wrote:

I second that -  being able to only block 10 is ridiculous -  I have a call blocker on my cell phone that I wish would be available for a digital voice line called "Call control"  you just add the phone # from a recent call to the black list and no more calls  I love it .   definitely need to increase the # to 100 I totally agree !!

ice3000

0 Likes
GeezerGeek
Enthusiast - Level 1
This is an important issue for Verizon. For seniors, who are always being harassed by robo-calls, phone solicitations, and calls for salespersons for dubious products, the 10 number limit is ridiculous. Even the Do Not Call service from the FTC and the various state Attorney Generals do not allow seniors to reject such calls. Those seniors to who thought FIOS would help them retrieve their privacy or their dinner hours back should band together and demand that Verizon help us control who has access to our previous time. Hope there are others who agree.
User285
Enthusiast - Level 1

The same thing is happening to me, and it is irritating.  Please send me the info you sent to the other user... How do I block calls from "Unavailable?"

gerasimus
Enthusiast - Level 1

We have 10 numbers to block and then 10 numbers to forward. I forward those 10 to the consumer fraud agency in Trenton. This worked for awhile and I sift  through the old ones and add new numbers as time passes.

The *77 will work for some calls but not the ones from callers who can manipulate their caller ID to say anything they want it to say. This morning we received a call at 6:30 AM of which the last two numbers came up as "squares". 

Yes, I believe Verizon should give us more than 10 numbers to block and 10 numbers to forward. 

Here's what I do to vent my frustration: I use my gmail account's telephone feature to return the annoying caller call on my computer (It has a California number ID) - I see who or what picks up. There have been a few times where I have gotten the caller on the phone who is a "home" caller and gets real nervous when I announce that I am conducting an investigation into telephone fraud. They hang up real quickly! 

Often when I call these numbers using the same method, they are phony numbers. 

Of course I love when "VISA" calls and asks me for my VISA card number. I then ask the caller for his/her card number...after all he-she is asking for mine, why can't I ask for his/hers? "I'll give you mine if you give me yours!"

And while I'm at it, why don't you give me your name, address and SS#? Unbelievable! 

Ah..The Do Not Call registry.... The government can't even run the post office...why should we expect anything other than frustration?

Some smart person is going to come up with a system for us to purchase and do away with this nonsense. Welcome to the next billionaire?

Also, you might try the Verizon feature for "Do Not Disturb".. You can set it to a specific time and schedule. For example, early weekend mornings and /or late night calls. Perhaps dinner time everyday between 5 and 9 PM? You have the option of letting family, friends or important numbers to go through even when the do not disturb feature is activated, so that's real nice. 

Well, I hope this long post helps those kindred frustrated.