How Many POTS Lines with my ONT Support?
smrtech
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon recently requested that I migrate my 2 Copper POTS lines to FIOS.

This was completed this last week and the model ONT installed was

an Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-H.    It has 2 phone jacks that are now both in use

and working for my wife's in-home business.  This is all under her account tied

to the business.  No other FIOS services.

So now I have ordered FIOS under my personal name for TV/Internet/Home Phone (3rd line).

The location is the same and Verizon online ordering acknowledge the existing equipment

which will be utilized - that's good!   Installation is scheduled in a few weeks.

It wasn't clear to me what happens with this 3rd line (currently Vonage) moved onto the ONT

since both jacks are now in use.  I am porting that number to Verizon.

What is most likely to happen at install:

• Replace the ONT with one with more jacks - which model is likely?
  • Add another ONT (no way, I don't want this if even possible at all)
  • Add an extension model (tech said there is such a thing) just for more phone jacks?
  • Support says they can add a jack by accessing the right side of ONT (not sure if I believe this)

I live in Philadelphia suburbs.   And I realize that different model ONTs are used in

different areas.  Does Verizon know to handle this automatically - or will it delay

my upcoming order?  Will the tech arrive and scratch his head because he doesn't

have the right ONT on his truck?

0 Likes
Re: How Many POTS Lines with my ONT Support?
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@smrtech wrote:

Verizon recently ...  installed ... an Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-H ... I have ordered FIOS ... for TV/Internet/Home Phone (3rd line) ... It wasn't clear to me what happens with this 3rd line (currently Vonage) moved onto the ONT

since both jacks are now in use ... What is most likely to happen at install [?] ...:

Here are the various ONT models and their specifications (including POTS line capacity):

http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/16637

What will happen in your specific case is open to question (geography, availability, etc.) but there are several models that can handle 3 or more lines.  You may want to clarify this quite specifically prior to the install because order changes do not seem to go smoothly in every case.

To quote from VZ literature:

FiOS® Digital Voice Unlimited Plan
... The Unlimited Plan offers you the ability to purchase up to 5 lines in addition to the primary line that is included with the plan ...

They also discuss "primary" and "virtual" lines, but frankly I find the printed literature confusing.  I have 2 separate FiOS Digital Voice lines running off a box like yours, but there are slight differences in the administration of each line.  It seems to me that clearing this up prior to the arrival of the tech is a very good idea.  Verizon's install techs are quite good, but definitely not clairvoyant.

0 Likes
Re: How Many POTS Lines with my ONT Support?
MR_FDV

@armond_in_nj wrote:

@smrtech wrote:

Verizon recently ...  installed ... An Alcatel-Lucent I-211M-H ... I have ordered FIOS ... For TV/Internet/Home Phone (3rd line) ... It wasn't clear to me what happens with this 3rd line (currently Vonage) moved onto the ONT

since both jacks are now in use ... What is most likely to happen at install [?] ...:

Here are the various ONT models and their specifications (including POTS line capacity):

http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/16637

What will happen in your specific case is open to question (geography, availability, etc.) but there are several models that can handle 3 or more lines.  You may want to clarify this quite specifically prior to the install because order changes do not seem to go smoothly in every case.

To quote from VZ literature:

FiOS® Digital Voice Unlimited Plan
... The Unlimited Plan offers you the ability to purchase up to 5 lines in addition to the primary line that is included with the plan ...

They also discuss "primary" and "virtual" lines, but frankly I find the printed literature confusing.  I have 2 separate FiOS Digital Voice lines running off a box like yours, but there are slight differences in the administration of each line.  It seems to me that clearing this up prior to the arrival of the tech is a very good idea.  Verizon's install techs are quite good, but definitely not clairvoyant.

smrtech,

armond_in_nj is correct about the option to replace your existing ONT with a different model that supports additional lines.  IN MOST cases, the install tech will just swap out your ONT and wire it up to add the new jacks.  However, in some cases I have seen a second ONT be installed if there are multiple video services or internet services being requested at the same address.  This is usually the ONLY reason a second ONT is installed. 

armond_in_nj,

The difference between "primary" and "virtual" lines is the same as a POTS line with a distinctive ring fax line on it.

So you would have a primary phone number which allows you to call out as well as receive calls.  The virtual line would be a phone number which cannot be used to call out but will allow you to use a fax machine that interprets distinctive ring tones like LONG LONG or SHORT LONG.

Hope this helps you both!

Thanks,

Mr_FDV

0 Likes