No dialtone, hum online inside house and when testing outside jack, busy signal when calling number
lydiatwads

Please help!  Returned from vacation to find no dialtone; I do have a slight hum on the line but unable to dial.  When someone calls my house, they get a busy signal.  Every once in awhile I do get a dialtone but it cuts out fairly quickly.  I plugged a working phone into my outside NID(?) box and have the same issue.  Is this a Verizon problem or mine?  The online response I got from Verizon is that is probably an inside problem but  I don't see how if I have the same issue in the outside box.   I have been told to expect a fix by 9/2 (reported problem on 8/26).  There were severe storms while we were away but my neighbors all still have phone service.  Any advice on anything else I can do while waiting (and waiting and waiting and waiting) for Verizon to show up would be appreciated.  I have plugged this working phone into all jacks in my house with the same result.  Any advice is welcome.  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: No dialtone, hum online inside house and when testing outside jack, busy signal when calling num
gwr1800

I wish you luck, I have the same issue and have had it for 5 days...........................

You can bet they still want to be payed for those days, and the days we have to wait for service too!

Had the same issue last year and it was a Verison central office (CO) issue.

0 Likes
Re: No dialtone, hum online inside house and when testing outside jack, busy signal when calling num
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

You either have a short circuit or a ground on your line. If you plugged your phone into the test port at the NID and were unable to get dial tone that would indicate it is an outside plant problem that Verizon is responsible for.

0 Likes
lydiatwads

UPDATE FROM LYDIATWADS:  An update in hopes someone has some information that can help.  I have unplugged all phones, answering machines, etc.  except one working corded telephone.  I do NOT have DSL or FIOS.  Every once in a while my telephone that is plugged in will make a noise (shorter than a regular ring) and I pick it up and have a dial tone for a short while and then the dial tone disappears again.  I have two phone jacks in my NID outside (the top one is my current phone line and the bottom was was for a previous owner of my home who had two phone lines - the second phone line has not operated in my house for over 5 years).  When I plug into the NID, I have no dial tone for my  jack but do get a dial tone for the second jack which has obviously been reassigned to a different customer.  Can any of this information help a Verizon employee contact me to let me know if this seems to be a Verizon problem or an inside problem?  I know that if I don't have a dial tone outside, it should be Verizon's problem but the periodic return of the dial tone is quite confusing to me.  I am still waiting on a repair response from Verizon (when I called the 800 number, the automated operator said it appeared to be a Verizon problem but an email response from Verizon said it appeared to be my problem inside).  What am I to do????  Thanks all!

0 Likes
lydiatwads

Thanks for your information - I am hopeful it is a Verizon issue but you're right - they will expect to be paid despite my inability to use the phone for days!  At least it keeps the pesky telemarketers at bay!

0 Likes
carlm

I have the exact same problem near Rockford, IL.  I called it in tonight we suspect it started acting up last night.  Tested the NID and nothing. Verizon automated system says will be fixed by 8PM on 9/1.

When I called in, they were experiencing high call volume, no wonder!

If they can not promise repairs untl Monday, I can save money with Comcast.

0 Likes