Phone backlight flashing on/off
swieder711f

I am new to FiOS.  Ever since getting it installed the backlight on my deskphone flashes on and off.  I suspect there is sometime of signal or noise that is coming from the ONT causing the phone to wake up.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is there some type of line filter that I can install to fix this problem?

thanks,

0 Likes
Re: Phone backlight flashing on/off
LexLuthor1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I've noticed that too.  At least a couple of times a day, I've noticed the backlight come on.  Haven't been able to figure out what's causing it yet.  Thought maybe when a computer "wakes" up or something like that, but it'll be tough to narrow it now.  Would like to hear more about this.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are some known issues in the past with FiOS calls regarding older telephone equipment not working correctly, but I haven't heard much of this in a few years. If the phone's backlight only comes on when there's an incoming call or while in use, it's possible that due to how short your telephone line is, or just by design of the ONT, the phone may be receiving a voltage that is slightly higher than it would be normally experiencing over a traditional landline, where miles of wire will weaken the current as it travels to your home and back. I'm just speculating, but this is a rather funny issue.

0 Likes
swieder711f

The backlight comes on when the phone is sitting idle.  When I pick up the handset or a call comes in then the backlight is supposed to come.

Its is very distracting to have the backlight on my phone flash on and off while it is just sitting their idle.

The phone is about 20 feet from the ONT.  I would be willing to stick a 100 feet of spooled cable into the connection if that would solve the problem.  I would also imagine their are inline filters made for phone lines that I could try.

I am open to any suggestions.

0 Likes
LexLuthor1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Still following this as well. My phone is probably even further from the ONT. It's on the other side of the house. I know the phone that lights up is plugged directly into the jack. That phone is part of a wireless phone system with additional handsets. I'll try to see if one of the wireless handsets that's not plugged directly into the jack lights up as well. Doesn't really sound like there's a solution for this, but it is a bit annoying. I'd say my phone probably lights up once an hour or so. I do catch it lit pretty frequently.
0 Likes
senorgregster
Enthusiast - Level 3

Add me to the list. 3x DECT 6.0 phones (single base) that flash about once an hour. Very annoying especially the one by the bed.

0 Likes
swieder711f

Senor - Are you wireless phone lighting up while they are off the base? 

My set up is a wired phone that goes directly into the ONT.  I have a 2-line phone and will have to do some experimenting to see if both lines are being affected.

0 Likes
ljh_md
Enthusiast - Level 2
Ive had my GE 2 handset phone for 3 yrs with no problem. Got FIOs 6 wks ago and now phones light up 3 or 4 times an hour. Its crazy.
0 Likes