single phone jack - splitter stopped working?
Lesliemm

I have a single phone outlet and for years whether with dial-up or now my DSL I have had a splitter.  The DSL for internet in one and phone with filter in the other. 

Tonight I discovered my dial tone problem  is the result that the dial tone will not work if its a split line.  By this I mean I can only get a dial tone if ONLY the phone plugged in.   The moment I plug the DSL line in it doesn't work.  I found another splitter to see if the problem was in the splitter but it wasn't.   There is no dial tone if I have 2 lines plugged in the splitter.

I can go out and buy a new splitter tomorrow but since I've already tried it with 2 I have I don't think this is the issue. 

What would cause this to happen?  What can I do? 

0 Likes
Re: single phone jack - splitter stopped working?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keep swapping out the different devices on your phone network.  I'd replace the phone cable between the splitter and the modem next.  If that doesn't help, try a different modem.

You can also test the splitter by plugging two phones into it.

My guess is the modem has a problem.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Lesliemm

I no longer have a modem -- its a router -- are saying the router would cause this problem.  It has worked for 5 years so not certain why it would now act differently.  I've swapped splitters, phones and filters   -- so the only constant is the DSL. 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Lesliemm wrote:

I no longer have a modem -- its a router -- are saying the router would cause this problem.  It has worked for 5 years so not certain why it would now act differently.  I've swapped splitters, phones and filters   -- so the only constant is the DSL. 

If its a device that plugs into a phone line and provides an Internet connection to your computers using DSL, it's a modem.  It may have a router integrated along with the modem, but there is still a modem in the box.

It sounds like you haven't swapped the modem/router.  Until you do, you can't rule it out.

And yes, electronic equipment can fail.  Sometimes after a day, sometimes after five years.  The reasons are wide and varied.

Good Luck!

P.S.  You should consider using only one message thread on these forums.  Starting multiple threads on the same issue will only reduce the chances that other readers will be able to follow the history of your problem.

Lesliemm

Thanks -- I'll talk to verison about the router -- I've never had a reason have spare in the house.

0 Likes