Switching to Fios phone service
ta1978ss

Hello,

I just switched from cable to fios a week ago and i brought over my phone service. I have had that phone number for 2 years and rarely got any call except from the poeple i want to call me. I have been with verizon one week and i must have at least 20-30 calls about some security thing they try to offer me and many unkown callers. Today i had 10 missed call when i got home and not one from a freind. Before switching never had this issue.

Has anyone else experianced this problem?

And if you know how to fix it so i do not receive these unwanted calls anymore that would be great? 🙂

If not im cancelling my home phone service tomorrow anyway. I tried today but verizion east coast hours are so stupid i just missed them by 5 minutes. I actually think they hope u try to call from work hours or something so you will get fired or they hope that you will just to busy to call LOL.

But so far there customer service has been horrible and there wbesite stinks. you can email them and links dont work that would help you its ridiculous LOL.

Please someone tell me im not the only person out there having a problem cause im a pretty easy going person but this is sad.

Thanks for ANY help ANYONE can give me with this.

PS Cable and TV so for are great 🙂

Greg

0 Likes
Re: Switching to Fios phone service
prisaz
Legend
If you did not ask for your number to be an unpublished number, then someone has you on their mailing list. Unpublished means not even the police are able to get your number. I had an emergency when out of state and a family member had just had their number changed and I left it at home. I was told I could contact the police and they could go to the address to contact them. Don't know if it is still the case but was 15 years ago. Unlisted means it's just not in the directory but people can still get it.
Also may want to have your number added to the national do not call registry. If you did it before you may need to do it again after changing providers.
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-06-2009 10:58 AM
zooky
Contributor - Level 1
Gosh - I have an unlisted # plus I registered with the "do not call" registry.  I get ZERO unwanted phone calls.  I get a few hangups but figure they're just somebody that dialed the wrong # and is too embarrassed to admit it.
0 Likes
Whirlwind
When my husband brought home my new phone, it arrived with an unknown caller on the Calling List.  They call every so often giving me a recording about my having qualified for debt reduction (don't need debt reduction).  I called the phone number back--they yell something unintelligible and hang up.   I put the phone number in the Search engine on the web and apparently this particular phone number is driving lots of other people crazy.  It is out of Los Angeles.  I told Verizon about my problem.  Perhaps I will be able to block this # for awhile.  Isn't there anyway for Verizon to contact the phone company in LA about that customer's bad acts?  If I called random numbers with unwanted messages, I am sure I would find myself in immediate trouble.  What to do?
0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Whirlwind, I would suggest going with a previous suggestion up above and sign up for the do not call registry.  You can do it at https://donotcall.gov/ -- was put into place by the government for the people getting hassled by all the nuisance phone calls.  I think it takes about a month or so before your number gets placed on it but after it is people calling you, offering services like described, are technically illegal and can get fined for doing so.

Also another good suggestion was having your number not listed as well. 

0 Likes
MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1

There should be absolutely no reason for the number of missed calls to increase simply by porting your number from one company to another.

DoNotCall registry is good for blocking calls from honest telemarketers.  It will not work for blocking politicians calls, bone fide market research firms, charities or companies who you have an established business relationship with.  You have to contact those businesses and ask that to be removed from their marketing lists.  

And then there are the unscrupolous telemarketers who have auto-dialers and have pre-programmed to show a different number in the caller id screens than what they are actually using.  There are numerous scams (debt reduction & auto warranties) that use this approach.  You would think it is illegal but according to the FCC it isn't.  It bugged me.

0 Likes