Verizon Call Assistant and Memory Leak?
CharlesRBasin
I am running Windows XP SP3. Yesterday I installed Verizon Call Assistant Version 2.7.55. The program looks useful, but over a 15 minute VZVidgetEgine.exe memory grows from 132KB to over 2,000KB, at which I point I have to kill the process.
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Call Assistant and Memory Leak?
Hobnob123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Windows XP SP2. Verizon Call Assistant Version 2.7.55.  I haven't experienced this memory leak issue.  Desktop client elements:

VZVidgetEngine.exe uses ~14MB (remains steady)

VZCallAssistant.exe uses ~8MB (at launch was ~6MB, increased to ~8MB after calls came in, etc. & then remained steady)

VZVidgetEngineMonitor.exe uses ~3MB (remains steady)

I *do* have issues with sloppy desktop client GUI programming, which doesn't cater to Large Fonts (120DPI) on high-res monitor, resulting in all UI items being clipped & non-expandable windows, rendering them relatively useless.

0 Likes
Hobnob123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Oh, one more issue:  In XP the desktop client launches processes through svchost and, due to some additional sloppy programming, leaks registry handles in the process.  The issue primarily is that Windows then can't properly close the user registry settings and this also may slow Windows shutdown, etc.  This is fairly common with XP applications, but is still sloppy and annoying.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Have you called the Verizon Assistant help line (1-888-483-5156) and reported this? This forum is not a feedback tool to Verizon, so I think you need to report it. It may or may not do any good, but it can't hurt.

0 Likes
CharlesRBasin
I have not yet called, but I will. I will also report the problem with 120 DPI setting that causes the clipping of the information in the window.
Message Edited by CharlesRBasin on 09-01-2008 11:57 AM
0 Likes
Patrick
got the same problem -- I've had call assistant grow to over 1 GB of memory
0 Likes
CharlesRBasin
I opened a case with Verizon more than a week ago. It took almost an hour before I got to the group that even knew about the application.So far no one has called me back, so the case is presumably still open.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

I have had Call Assistant up for about 12 hours today, with several calls coming in. I checked the memory usage and it doesn't seem so bad:

From Windows XP Task Manager

6,220K is only 6MB or so, seems pretty reasonable to me, that is peanuts compared to lots of Windows applications..

Justin
Verizon FiOS TV, Internet, and phone
IMG 1.5.0
Keller, TX

0 Likes
dec853

XP SP3

•  VZVidgetEngine   247 MB
  • VZCallAssistant   2.6 MB
  • VZVidgetEngineMonitor 68 K

Call Assistant works fine on my Vista SP1 machines.
0 Likes
ajgarvin

What I've been observing on my computer is not that VZVidgetEngine.exe is using huge amounts of physical memory, but that the amount of paging space (a.k.a. virtual memory, VM Size in Windows Task Manager) committed it to it gets enormous.  I've seen the VM Size for VZVidgetEngine.exe grow to well over 1 GB (Patrick's report in this thread makes me think he's got the same thing)!

In any case, I usually check on the Verizon Call Assistant processes when I try to use Call Assistant and find that it won't respond.  I've reported several issues with Call Assistant to Verizon by email prior to discovering this problem, but I don't get even so much as an acknowledgement.  By phone, reaching someone in Verizon Support who has any interest in passing a bug report back toward the developers is so rare that I don't consider it worth the effort (and I'm generally very persistent).

When I began using Call Assistant, it was identified as "Beta" (maybe it still is -- I haven't checked).  Beta used to mean a final stage of testing, in which software developers not only paid attention to but sought out problems and bug reports in order to solidify software for a "ready-for-prime-time" release.  While I realize that meaning for Beta has become substantially diluted over recent years, to Verizon it seems to mean something more like "use at your own risk because we don't really care very much what you think."  Come to think of it, that describes their attitude about non-Beta issues as well.  If anyone knows a way to report bugs to someone at Verizon who seems interested, I'm all ears!

0 Likes