Verizon Call assistant and Windows Vista workaround
MinorTthreat
Enthusiast - Level 2
I was having trouble getting Verizon Call Assistant to work correctly on my Windows Vista 32bit machine so I edited the properties of the shortcut. I set it to run in Windows XP SP2 compatibility mode and also clicked the "run as administrator" box. It now works as it should! Before I did this it would hang for about 2 minutes and do nothing every time I tried to use it.
Re: Verizon Call assistant and Windows Vista workaround
Justin46
Legend

Good post! And interesting, because the Call Assistant web page says it supports Vista. But apparently not huh? Maybe this will help others who have experienced problems getting CA to work on Vista.

I have been using CA for about a year now on my XP Home system, no problems, but some people do experience some pretty severe issues. Works great for me though.

Anyway, good info, thanks for posting it. Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Keller, TX 76248 

MinorTthreat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I noticed that it did say "Windows Vista" in the supported OS list but It also lists "Vista support" in the "upcoming features"...kinda wacky but I was definitely having some troubles with it. I think it may have been an issue with Vista's UAC and probably would work with the the "run as administrator" box checked only but it works for me now so I am just going to leave it as is.

I came here when I was looking for a solution and just thought I should pass it along.Thanks for the warm welcome!

MagicMan
Contributor - Level 1
Welcome & thanks for contributing in the true spirit of the forums.  So many people come here to vent & bash because of their frustrating experiences.  But, it's the few folks like your self that understand the purpose of these self-help forums that allow us to work together to solve problems.  If only everyone shared your views then I wouldn't be questioning if it's worth my time trying to help.
prisaz
Legend
I am running Vista Business 64bit and have had no issues with CA. Try uninstalling it and running the install program as administrator by right clicking on the install program and selecting run as administrator. My shortcut has no compatibility modes set and does not run as administrator, but I think I remember running the install as mentioned. Let us know if it helps.
Message Edited by prisaz on 05-24-2009 10:28 AM
0 Likes
MinorTthreat
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried to run the install as Admin but it just would not work correctly until I edited the shortcut properties. It seemed to work but it would not open my address book or add contacts automatically. It works now though.

If anyone reading this has had the same issue or tried this workaround please post your experience 🙂

0 Likes
dbrennan
Enthusiast - Level 2
I am also running Vista 64bit - and although I have encountered problems with other software running on 64 bit OS, that has not been the case with VCA.  It installed and ran fine until recently when Verizon developed some tech problems.  Hoping those will be resolved soon.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@dbrennan wrote:
....It installed and ran fine until recently when Verizon developed some tech problems.  Hoping those will be resolved soon.

Interesting comment, because I have not had any issues at all recently, except that just a few minutes ago I got a popup that said it had lost contact with the server, but I just checked right now and it had already re-established contact and is working just fine. You are not the first person I have seen make a comment that CA was having problems in the last few weeks, but it has been working just fine for me for months, I am not aware of any outages except for the rare lost contact with server issue.

Strange, why would mine be working and yours not? Where are you located, I wonder if it is a geographical or maybe an IP range issue?

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes