Verizon Call Assistant
Sheryl82449
It worked fine until a couple days ago when I did the mandatory update.  Now it will not work and I get the constant message "connection with the server is down.  Please try again later.  Can I get it working again?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon Call Assistant
vpac1
Enthusiast - Level 2
Go and open My Computer,then go and open, the "C" folder then go and open, Program Files folder then go and open Verizon then go and open Call Assistant folder,then go to DCClient_Retail right click on it to edit(in notepad) ,then go edit line HostIPAddress" value="www36.verizon.com" to HostIPAddress" value="www36p.verizon.com", then save the file and restart the computer. This should fix the problem and you can use Call Assistant

View solution in original post

TerryB
I ordered mine on 5-27-09. It's been nothing but a pain to get evrything working. I've probably talked to twenty different Verizon techs on the phone since then. I'd guess 90% didn't even know what I was asking about. On 6-4-09 I was transferred no less than five times before I was finally told there were bugs in the system  that were that had to be worked out. My server has been down for two days now. I can access from my account, but I shouldn't have to. The pop-up feature also does not function yet. I spent a good hour and a half on the phone to find this out. I know this feature is free, but the upgrade I had to switch to wasn't. All I've gained so far is voicemail and my DSL is a little faster. I'm sick of calling and getting the run around by people that don't even know their own product.
0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2
Call assistant has been down since the update. Verizon says their techs are working to resolve the issue. Looks like they pushed out the update without proper testing.
0 Likes
Don_Hao
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm also getting the same message since the mandatory update. Until then everything worked perfectly. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but still can't connect to the server. I hope there's a fix for this soon. I miss my call assistant.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Don_Hao wrote:

I'm also getting the same message since the mandatory update. Until then everything worked perfectly. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but still can't connect to the server. I hope there's a fix for this soon. I miss my call assistant.

What mandatory update? How were you notified about it? I have had CA for probably a year or so, no updates, and no problems except for an occasional "lost contact with server" type of message. It is working for me right now, and has been for many months. It sounds like some new client version has some severe problems but the old client just keeps chugging along.....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
TerryB
I was also told by a verizon tech that there were problems with an update and a newer version would be up and running at the end of the month.
0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@TerryB wrote:
I was also told by a verizon tech that there were problems with an update and a newer version would be up and running at the end of the month.

I wonder why they don't just put the old version back up on the website for download until they fix the problem?

FWIW, whenever I want to get a program (any program, not just the CA client) I download it first and install from the download, I don't just install it directly from the website. That way, if I have trouble with a newer version I still have the older version to go back to. Works most of the time.....

I am still confused about how people got a newer version the client, I was never offered or told to get a newer one. Not that I am complaining because my old one is still working, just one of life's little mysteries I guess.....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Call assistant not working after upgraded
courtpassant

Call assistant was working fine on my Vista machine, but after it upgraded to new software, it cant connect to the server.

I checked my firewall and all.

Any ideas what to do?

I have uninstalled/reinstalled.

Still wont connect.

0 Likes
Re: Call assistant not working after upgraded
MoopMeep
Enthusiast - Level 3

Me too. I have Vista 64-bit. Call Assistant insisted that I upgrade it a couple of days ago. Since the upgrade, when I try to start it complains that it can't connect to one of the servers.

The ironic part is that I have an answering machine but I also have verizon voicemail. The day after upgrading call assistant, I get a call from verizon that went to verizon voicemail. Since I have FIOS tv, I am assuming they are trying to sell me HBO again :). Anyhow, since I can't get call assistance to work, I can't listen to the voicemail 🙂

0 Likes
HenryFarpolo
Contributor - Level 2

@Justin wrote:

@TerryB wrote:

I wonder why they don't just put the old version back up on the website for download until they fix the problem?

FWIW, whenever I want to get a program (any program, not just the CA client) I download it first and install from the download, I don't just install it directly from the website. That way, if I have trouble with a newer version I still have the older version to go back to. Works most of the time.....

I am still confused about how people got a newer version the client, I was never offered or told to get a newer one. Not that I am complaining because my old one is still working, just one of life's little mysteries I guess.....

Keller, TX 76248

On Friday when I started my PC, when CA opened there was a popup that stated there was a mandatory update for CA. When I downloaded the update, CA stopped  functioning....it couldn't access the server.

Seems like a long time to wait, if it won't be fixed until the end of the month. You are indeed fortunate, that you missed this one!!

0 Likes