Re: what does anonymous call blocking actually block?
fastKitty

Received two more anonymous calls last week.  No phone number, unknown name--as displayed both on my phone and via the web app.    Complained to verizon support for at least the third time now.   

The first time they told me to go to web and unclick and reclick "anonymous call block".  Of course that did no good.

The second time, some "technician" claimed he was doing the equivalent of checking and unchecking" the box and then had to listen to a sales pitch which he claimed will save me money.  Not sure where he game up with that as the price he quoted was MORE than my current bill.  Anyway, whatever he did, didn't solve the problem given I had to complain again...

This time they claim they actually are going to escalate it.   That was now over a week ago and I've heard nothing.  So am sure Verizon again will do nothing.

I also had identified a "company" that was hiring out robocallers that were apparently (per Verizon) spoof calls.   Only the phone number displayed was always one of many owned by this "company" given the message when you called them (always the same and the robocaller always spoofed the number to one belonging to this same "company".   Did Verizon do anything about this?  Nope.   They claimed they could only apparently go after the robocalling service and NOT the company hiring the robocaller.  Unbelievable.

0 Likes
fastKitty

Today Verizon came me this as a solution to their NOT blocking spoofed robocalls:

Do not answer your phone.

You just can't make this stuff up with them.

0 Likes
fastKitty

Yet more things that don't work with call blocking... I don't think this feature works at all.

In the last eight days I've gotten FOUR phone calls from this number:  489-131-1345

Besides it being an illegal area code AND an illegal exchange which Verizon should just generally be blocking no matter what since it IS an invalid number, it also doesn't block the number when I added it to my block list.   

Now perhaps that's because it "sometimes" displays online in my call history as 01148913113451 (my Verizon callerID box and my phone display it as the other way and online it has displayed it the other way sometimes also).   But never fear, I have the alternate version ALSO on my block list and it can't block it that way either.  Today when I thought it was another wacky derivation, I again went to the GUI and tried to add it from my call history but the GUI saw it in the block list and wouldn't let me re-add it.   

It's just that Verizon apparently doesn't care what's on your block list cause they just seem to ignore it.

0 Likes
fastKitty

So I got another anonymous call yesterday and again complained to Verizon... No phone number, no name.

Turns out they saw all my complaints in their "notes" but NEVER actually filed a ticket about it.  How nice of them.  😍   Guess that's how they get around thinking everything is working perfect in Verizon land.   Unbelievable.

But it gets better....

They told me that if someone calls you and doesn't provide callerID information, that's NOT an anonymous call.   I asked them how's that not anonymous?    All I got was a "I see your point".

So good news to all the robocallers in the world, don't block your callerID, just don't provide it.  Verizon will not block it nor will you be able to report it to them.   What a great loophole they've made.

0 Likes
fastKitty

Just got yet another anonymous call that wasn't blocked.   Got on VZ chat and gave them the "ticket number" that was created last time this happened and asked status.  Well Verizon closed the ticket.   I said why?   They said it was resolved....   Nobody ever contacted me, nobody ever investigated anything so how was it resolved?    They claimed the system automatically closed it.   I told them that was pretty convenient.

So they've opened a new ticket.   Told them I'd contact them in a week to see if anything was investigated.  Hopefully the ticket won't be "closed by the system" by then.

And wasted another 45 minutes of my life just to get them to open a new ticket (because they claimed they couldn't reopen closed ones).

'

0 Likes