Guide Favorites Issue Since 1.9 Upgrade on 2500 STB
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

I called tech support about this issue and the agent wasn't able to resolve it.  Wondered if anyone else experienced this since the 1.9 upgrade or if anyone has other ideas.  When I press the guide button, the guide comes up, but starts on a channel off by 2 channels of the current channel.  So for instance, if I'm on channel 52 and press guide, it pops up starting out on channel 50.  If I press the down arrow for the mini guide, then it's off by only 1 channel.  We tried rebooting and a bunch of other options including factory resetting my router while on the phone with tech support, but nothing worked.  So they sent me a new box to see if that would work.  I got it running, pressed the guide and everything was fine.  So I built my favorites again and it's happening again.  But now I know that it's only happening in the favorites or subscribed channels favorites.  Doesn't seem to matter how many channels I have in my favorites.  This problem didn't occur until 1.9 was released.  It works fine if I leave it on all channels, but I'd rather not scroll through all those channels to which I don't subscribe (particularly all those local blank channels).  This is only on my SD 2500 STB.  My HDDVR 7216 is working fine.  Anyone have ideas of what to try next?

Labels (1)
Re: Guide Favorites Issue Since 1.9 Upgrade on 2500 STB
tns
Master - Level 2

What your describing sounds exactly as it always been.  They show some channels before and after what your are on.

The one that has hilighting and with additional information should be the one your on.  If not then that is a bug.

0 Likes
BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

Hey tns, I understand what you're saying.  But it's the channel that's highlighted that isn't the same as the channel I'm on.  If I'm on channel 52 and press menu, then channel 50 is highlighted instead of 52.  It only happens when using favorites on the SD box.  Doesn't happen when using all channels.  Strange.

0 Likes
Contributor - Level 1

I see this issue also on my 2500.  Launch guide (unfiltered), it has the current channel selected.  Hit the Favorites button to filter it for Favorites 1 - the selected channel drops by two.

The replacement box the FSC sent you will not help; might as well keep the one you have.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@BrianC wrote:

Hey tns, I understand what you're saying.  But it's the channel that's highlighted that isn't the same as the channel I'm on.  If I'm on channel 52 and press menu, then channel 50 is highlighted instead of 52.  It only happens when using favorites on the SD box.  Doesn't happen when using all channels.  Strange.

Okay since at least two are you are reporting this bug, make sure that it is escalated to the software support team.

The 2500-p3's are running different code from the other boxes (mostly stripped of features) and so apparently a bug has slipped in there but not to the others.

BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

Thanks.  Would you happen to know how to get this information to the software support team?  Sitting on hold for a half hour to get through to tech support is less than desirable especially when they're going to want to go through all these steps to see if they can fix it again first.  Then do THEY know about a software support team???  Wasn't sure if perhaps you might have some insight on the best way to proceed reporting this 'bug' to the right people.

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1
I sent them an email and they said they are aware of it. 

BrianC wrote:

Thanks.  Would you happen to know how to get this information to the software support team?  Sitting on hold for a half hour to get through to tech support is less than desirable especially when they're going to want to go through all these steps to see if they can fix it again first.  Then do THEY know about a software support team???  Wasn't sure if perhaps you might have some insight on the best way to proceed reporting this 'bug' to the right people.

BrianC
Contributor - Level 3

Hey nascar, thanks.  Really appreciate that.

And tns, appreciate the advice.

0 Likes
RossHilbert
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi BrianC,

I have the exact same problem you do; i.e., I set the mode to "Favorites 1" so that when the guide is displayed, it only shows my favorites and now every time I hit Guide, the guide comes up with the current channel selection 2 slots too low. And when you hit Guide when viewing channel 2 it comes up with channel 1952 selected and there is no way to get back to channel 2 without either switching to All Channels or scrolling down 1950 channels which, given the speed of the new "upgrade", would take forever. If you set your Favorites Button to toggle the Mode between All Channels and Favorites 1, you can keep pressing your Favorites Button while the Guide is displayed, and watch the channels displayed scroll down 2 at a time, over and over.

When I contacted "Technical Support", none of the 2 employees and 1 supervisor I spoke to even knew how to use the Guide!!! They did not know what the Mode was for, they did not know what the Favorites channel list was used for, they did not know anything about the new interface except the set of static screen shots they have access to, which they click on and read canned help info to you, which is worthless in this case. None of them have Fios TV at home and they do not have a TV in their work place. The supervisor said they had a TV at the training center 45 miles away!!! I spent over 2 hours on the phone over the course of 2 days trying to describe this problem and none of the "Technical Support" staff had any idea what I was talking about. Like you, they put me through the canned set of "fixes"; reset your box, reboot your box, clear your non-volatile memory (which clear out all your Favorites by the way!!!), try all your boxes in the home (all show the same results of course), etc. Worthless!!!

It is clearly a bug in their software but getting the information to the right person seems impossible since the "Technical Support" staff do not understand the problem.

Ross

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1
Yes a bug.  The IMG team is aware and the fix is in 1.9.1.

RossHilbert wrote:

Hi BrianC,

I have the exact same problem you do; i.e., I set the mode to "Favorites 1" so that when the guide is displayed, it only shows my favorites and now every time I hit Guide, the guide comes up with the current channel selection 2 slots too low. And when you hit Guide when viewing channel 2 it comes up with channel 1952 selected and there is no way to get back to channel 2 without either switching to All Channels or scrolling down 1950 channels which, given the speed of the new "upgrade", would take forever. If you set your Favorites Button to toggle the Mode between All Channels and Favorites 1, you can keep pressing your Favorites Button while the Guide is displayed, and watch the channels displayed scroll down 2 at a time, over and over.

When I contacted "Technical Support", none of the 2 employees and 1 supervisor I spoke to even knew how to use the Guide!!! They did not know what the Mode was for, they did not know what the Favorites channel list was used for, they did not know anything about the new interface except the set of static screen shots they have access to, which they click on and read canned help info to you, which is worthless in this case. None of them have Fios TV at home and they do not have a TV in their work place. The supervisor said they had a TV at the training center 45 miles away!!! I spent over 2 hours on the phone over the course of 2 days trying to describe this problem and none of the "Technical Support" staff had any idea what I was talking about. Like you, they put me through the canned set of "fixes"; reset your box, reboot your box, clear your non-volatile memory (which clear out all your Favorites by the way!!!), try all your boxes in the home (all show the same results of course), etc. Worthless!!!

It is clearly a bug in their software but getting the information to the right person seems impossible since the "Technical Support" staff do not understand the problem.

Ross

0 Likes