What is the purpose of changing the guide??
timbo4455
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm so **bleep** off I can't see straight. This web site is a nightmare to use, and that  suggestions spinning icon is too annoying. WHAT WAS THE GUIDE CHANGED FOR?? That person should be fired immediately, it's too  hard to use, AND IT'S TOO SMALL TO READ, EVEN WITH A BIG SCREEN TV. YOU STILL CAN'T TAKE A LOOK AT THE CURRENT REMINDERS, WHY IS THAT? WHAT GOOD IS IT TO SET REMINDERS IF YOU HAVE TO WRITE THEM DOWN ON A PIECE OF PAPER? THE  REMINDERS POP UP TWICE, WHY IS THAT? The person who designed that should be fired immediately. I HATE EVERYTHING ABOUT FIOS, YOUR RIDICULOUS NIGHTMARISH WEB SITE, I HATE THE GUIDE, and I hate that the remote control has to have the  batteries replace every TWO WEEKS.

Just trying to set a reminder tkaers too long. COMCAST ALLOWS REMINDERS TO BE SET, and to be VIEWED BY ARROWING DOWN, WHOEVER DESIGNED YOUR NIGHTMARE REMOTE CONTROL SHOULDS BE FIRED.

I SPENT 2 1/2  MONTHS learning how to use this remote control, and now you change the guide into a small print nightmare, NAD IT SUCKS BIG TIME, it's a nightmare to use.

Labels (1)
Re: What is the purpose of changing the guide??
dustyh
Enthusiast - Level 1

Couldn't agree with you more! Trying to find a way to get it changed back, or at least a option to do so. I called, and was put on hold (for tech support) finally got through guy said they could get it changed, but through a different department, transferred me over, just so I could here a automated reply that the office was closed??? Now trying the useless web site, arggg

Contributor - Level 1

Not to dash your hopes, burst your bubble, etc; but it's of no use to call in.  The old set top user interface is no longer available, and no amount of calling is going to change that.

Instead you should focus on methods to adjust what you have presented currently.  If your primary complaint is an inefficient method to access Reminders - then post an idea on the Verizon Idea Exchange.  If your primary issue is font size on screen, have you tried the standard definition version of the user interface?  It has the same font sizes as the previous version (Menu - Settings - Video Settings - Graphics - select SD).

Hubrisnxs
Legend

once it's changed, it's changed.  there ain't no going back.     

juice421
Contributor - Level 2

Wow, some of you people complain more than my sister....

Anyway, I'm a beta tester of 1.9, so I've had it for many months now.  Now I actually agree with one part of your rant.  The readaility isn't great.  But you should have seen the first edition of 1.9!  It was so hard to read it made my eyes hurt, no joke.  So they have made it better, but it still needs work.  

I've said it since the first day I got 1.9, the light colors are terrible and don't provide enough contrast!  

But with all that said, 1.9 is a HUGE, and i mean HUGE improvement over the previous Fios software (1.8).  I work in the IT industry so I know good software when I see it.  

Just some of the things good things of 1.9 are: 

Quick - the guide is quick..no lag anywhere ( FYI I am running a 7232 box, the newest and best box)

eSata - allows external harddrive to be added for MUCH MUCH more recording space! 

HD Guide - a true widescreen guide! As long as they fix the color scheme, the guide will be sweet. 

Reminders - Love they added reminders to the HD boxes. And the reminders come up twice in case you missed it the first time.

So people calm down and take a deep breathe.  Man some people get so emotional, remember IT"S JUST TV! 

1.9 is a huge improvement, you just need to get over the color scheme and use it.  I'm telling you, you will find it is a great upgrade. 

MovieBuff3
Enthusiast - Level 2

@juice421 wrote:

Wow, some of you people complain more than my sister....

Anyway, I'm a beta tester of 1.9, so I've had it for many months now.  Now I actually agree with one part of your rant.  The readaility isn't great.  But you should have seen the first edition of 1.9!  It was so hard to read it made my eyes hurt, no joke.  So they have made it better, but it still needs work.  

I've said it since the first day I got 1.9, the light colors are terrible and don't provide enough contrast!  

But with all that said, 1.9 is a HUGE, and i mean HUGE improvement over the previous Fios software (1.8).  I work in the IT industry so I know good software when I see it.  

Just some of the things good things of 1.9 are: 

Quick - the guide is quick..no lag anywhere ( FYI I am running a 7232 box, the newest and best box)

eSata - allows external harddrive to be added for MUCH MUCH more recording space! 

HD Guide - a true widescreen guide! As long as they fix the color scheme, the guide will be sweet. 

Reminders - Love they added reminders to the HD boxes. And the reminders come up twice in case you missed it the first time.

So people calm down and take a deep breathe.  Man some people get so emotional, remember IT"S JUST TV! 

1.9 is a huge improvement, you just need to get over the color scheme and use it.  I'm telling you, you will find it is a great upgrade. 

You know.. you're right. It is just TV. So why make the experience more and more complex?  And by the way, in my opinion it's not better - it's not faster - it's not more convenient - it's not easier to use.

Once again, a techie/geek tries to tell us how great it is because they, "...work in the IT industry so I know good software when I see it."

Guess what Juice?  I DON'T CARE!

I don't care how technologically advanced and experienced you are with these sort of things. I'm NOT. And neither are the majority of Verizon customers. You would be the last person I would turn to for beta testing. I would rather give the beta version to Joe Public and his wife with three kids. Get their input, because they are your averag customer - not a techie who already knows how to manipulate and play with these things. You probably live for this stuff - don't you? Well... WE DON'T!

You should understand and be sensitive to the fact that we are complaining because the new menu sucks - in our opinion.  And we are end users - average viewers, not geeks.  We wouldn't take the time (an inordinate amount of time to register here, by the way) to post complaints here unless we were THAT upset and concerned over the changes.

Like Internet Explorer, we should be able to opt out and keep the version we like.

Justin46
Legend

@moviebuff wrote:

You know.. you're right. It is just TV. So why make the experience more and more complex?  And by the way, in my opinion it's not better - it's not faster - it's not more convenient - it's not easier to use.

Once again, a techie/geek tries to tell us how great it is because they, "...work in the IT industry so I know good software when I see it."

Guess what Juice? (1) I DON'T CARE!

(2) I don't care how technologically advanced and experienced you are with these sort of things. I'm NOT. And neither are the majority of Verizon customers. You would be the last person I would turn to for beta testing. I would rather give the beta version to Joe Public and his wife with three kids. Get their input, because they are your averag customer - not a techie who already knows how to manipulate and play with these things. You probably live for this stuff - don't you? Well... WE DON'T!

(3) You should understand and be sensitive to the fact that we are complaining because the new menu sucks - in our opinion.  And we are end users - average viewers, not geeks. (4)  We wouldn't take the time (an inordinate amount of time to register here, by the way) to post complaints here unless we were THAT upset and concerned over the changes.

(5) Like Internet Explorer, we should be able to opt out and keep the version we like.

(1) And I do care, 'cause he at least has some idea of what he is talking about, unlike you.

(2) Obviously.

(3) And I don't care about YOUR opinion, I care about mine. And in my view it is fine.

(4) Bull! There are people like you that just love to complain, no matter what. I truely don't care about your complaints.

(5) Agreed! Something we finally agree on. So please, go opt out, go somewhere else where those of us who like FiOS and want enhancements don't have to read your junk.

IMO, Verizon has in fact made the experience significantly better. 

ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

Just a reminder folks that the forum is for the exchange of ideas and experience with Verizon's products and services. Naturally, not everyone will agree on a given topic, but we do ask that you be civil in expressing your disagreements, and remain courteous so that the boards are a pleasant environment for all users.

hingber
Enthusiast - Level 2
by hingber on 09-14-2011 12:25 PM
I AGREE COMPLETELY WITH THIS COMMENT. I HAVE A SONY 32" CRT STD DIF TV. I MADE SOME CHANGES IN MENU/SETTINGS/VIDEO SETTINGS AND GOT A BETTER READABILITY. WHAT MANAGER APPROVED THESE CHANGES? DID YOU HIRE AN INTERIOR DECORATOR TO DO YOUR DESIGN?? JUST GIVE US LARGE WHITE TEXT ON BLACK . ALSO MADE CHANGES IN CLOSED CAPTION SETTINGS AND GOT A BETTER READABILITY
0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

If you are using an SD TV set and have the guide set for HD it will be really small.  In settings change the guide to SD on an SD set.  And conversely, if you are using an HD set you should make sure the guide is set to HD.  You can also set the guide to classic so it has more the look/layout (not colors though) of 1.8.  All of these are in Settings and I suggest everyone try them out and see what differences you can make.

0 Likes