A question about a potential scam
JonnySlice

Good evening. I'm not sure if anyone here can answer this, but, hopefully, they can point me in the right direction. I have a question about a potential billing scam that I've recently been trying to figure out. Does anyone here know if Verizon actually sells off deliquent accounts to some company called "telco" or teleco" or something like that? I keep getting these phone calls that claim I owe over 2000 dollars in overdue payments. I don't even remember if I ever even had any verizon services in my name. If I did, it was well over 10 years ago. They keep threatening me with court dates as well saying that if I don't pay, they'll take me to court. Not only that, they managed to somehow get my unlisted home phone number too. I also get emails from supposed representatives of the company under the name of Lannister & Associates, and I can't even find any information about that company. It doesn't appear they even have a web site of any kind either. If no one here can answer this, please direct me to the proper place so that I can find out if this is legit or if someone is trying to scam me. Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
Re: A question about a potential scam
jonjones1
Legend

There are loads of scammers out there. However you can make first a police report with the local police to get an incident number. Tell them you are being harassed by a scammer. Give the police documents proving your report.

In most states the attorney generals office takes care of these situations. Call them as well.

a debt over 7 years is uncollectable under the Fair Debt Collections Act and most local state statutes so don’t reply to them, don’t speak to them, and if they call tell them to stop calling you since you have filed a police report and that you have spoken to your states attorney generals office (consumer frauds and protection bureau)

keep any letters and keep a phone log of the calls. Don’t give them any information nor bank numbers or credit card numbers etc.

additionally these so called scammers would actually have to take you to court, which just based on the time frame over 7 years aged debt if owed would have them pursue for nothing.

I would get copies of your credit report and see if any information is listed as negative or derogatory. You can get free copies at free annual credit report.com google for the official site.

0 Likes
Re: A question about a potential scam
jonjones1
Legend

https://www.narca.org/members/default.asp?id=29380044

They have a web site, sort of. They are zombie debt collectors.

https://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-888-242-4580

As I said bogus bottom feeding scammers. Don’t give them anything. Verify nothing and if necessary do what I said to do in my other post.

0 Likes