Re: Bait and Switch on "Free" LG Tablet - Taking Advantage of a Senior Citizen
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Okay found promo and its pretty clear on the Website.  You get a free LG Tablet or Up to 200 off on other tablet but must signup for Verizon Wireless.  Obviously bad that this is not being made clear when someone calls for an upgrade.

Promotional Details

LG Tablet

Tablet Promotion: Get a FREE LG G Pad 8.3 LTE or save up to $200 off any Verizon Wireless tablet. Just sign up for FiOS TV or Internet and activate the tablet on a new 2-year Verizon Wireless line of service. ±

How it works:

1. Sign up for a qualifying FiOS TV and/or Internet plan.
  2. Within 30 days of FiOS Installation, a certificate will be mailed to your home.
  3. Bring the certificate to a Verizon Wireless store, activate the tablet on a new 2-year Verizon Wireless line of service and walk out with a new tablet!

±VZW Tablet Offer: Offer ends 7/19/2014. Consumer wireless accounts only. Not combinable with any other device or service offer. Available only for new or existing FiOS customers that install new FiOS TV and/or Internet service by 8/20/2014. Within 30 days of installation, eligible customers will be mailed a unique bar code which must be redeemed by 9/30/2014. Limit one bar code per customer. Bar code may not be copied or transferred and is redeemable only at Verizon Wireless Communications Stores. No cash or credit given if discount exceeds price of tablet after any available rebate. Activation fee/line: Up to $35. IMPORTANT CONSUMER INFORMATION: Subject to Customer Agreement, Calling/Data Plan, & credit approval. Deposit may apply. Up to $350 early termination fee. Offers & coverage, varying by svc, not available everywhere; see vzw.com. While supplies last. Restocking fee may apply. Limited time offer. In MA: Sales tax based on Verizon Wireless’ cost of a device purchased at a discount with service. In CA:  Sales tax based on full retail price of tablet. Add’l CA eWaste fee may apply. © 2014 Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
xxxx9
Enthusiast - Level 2

The worst part is they don't tell the cost and call the monthly fee "activation", so one can be easily misled into thinking the initial $35 activation fee is all it costs. Since when is activation every month? Also, minimum tablet fee is for 2GB ($30) which is more than cell phone fee. Misleading at best.

(To add insult to injury they probably charge you sales tax in some states for the "free" phone.)

But I suppose it is still a good deal for some?

Sensor
Enthusiast - Level 2
I wonder if Verizon monitors this forum to see what their customers think of what can be perceived as deceptive and misleading practices in their quest to steal away comcast customers. Or maybe they just don't even care .
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@xxxx wrote:

The worst part is they don't tell the cost and call the monthly fee "activation", so one can be easily misled into thinking the initial $35 activation fee is all it costs. Since when is activation every month? Also, minimum tablet fee is for 2GB ($30) which is more than cell phone fee. Misleading at best.

(To add insult to injury they probably charge you sales tax in some states for the "free" phone.)

But I suppose it is still a good deal for some?

"...activate the tablet on a new 2-year Verizon Wireless line of service"

Pretty clear at least on the web site.  Not a great deal  but the details are shown.  No comment about some of the sales representative either being unaware of details or actually making things up.

And to someone else asking do they monitor for complaints here.  No Not Really.  The Verizon people who monitor these boards look for things that they can do to help.  They may mention that some are complaining to the other areas but that is always occurring, even when actually Verizon is not at fault.  If they see a deal that does exist and doesn't appear to be being honored they will help.  The ones here are actually usually knowledgeable and helpful but there as limit to what they can do. 

pixological
Enthusiast - Level 1

You should have read through the fine print before you gave you in-laws the cash "donation". I believe its partly your fault for setting them up to fail. Senior citizens need help from their families. They need smart kids that can help not hurt.

xxxx9
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe so, but it is also intentionally misleading.

Gizmo2008
What if you already have a verizon wireless account? Does it have to be added or do you have to open a whole new account?
0 Likes
ferdinando
Enthusiast - Level 1

never seen the ad only spoke with salesman

I was told that if sign up for 2 years for Fios Triple Play I would get a free LG G tablet no mention of sign in in for 2 year with Verizon Wireless. When I got a redemption code I went to the store I was told the only way to get it free if I sign a contract for $10.00 a month for 2 years. I called the salesman who sold me the contract he had no idea. To me this is false advertisement

ferdinando
Enthusiast - Level 1

maybe Verizon should educate the salespeople  not to mislead.. Going back to Optimu i was never misled by

0 Likes
tjgriffin1
Enthusiast - Level 1
If you have a cell plan, it's $10 added on to your current monthly cell bill. The sales ARE lying. They may plead ignorance, but they're told to do that. And it's perfectly legal.

I came here because I was suspicious of this tablet offer extended to me on a sales call. Now I know.

The ONLY thing counts is what is in writing and in the contact. They can tell you you'll get free chocolate chip cookies for life, even a recorded line, but if it's not in the contact you signed, forget it. It sucks, it's morally void, but it's perfectly legal. Your only defence is to read the contract before you sign it.