Re: Bait and Switch on "Free" LG Tablet - Taking Advantage of a Senior Citizen
Randy40
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same basic problem. The free tablet is not free. The Verizon store insist upon a two-year activation in order to receive the so-called free tablet. There is also nothing indicating a two-year activation requirement for the tablet prior to receiving the confirmation e-mail. I will restate what I posted on Verizon's Facebook page since I was unable to locate a customer service e-mail address to send in the complaint.:

Why was there no mention in your advertisements about a two-year contract on the free tablet a customer would receive if signing up for Verizon? I received the coupon for the free tablet after installing Verizon and I see that it now requires a two-year Verizon activation contract in order to receive it. I find this to be unacceptable. After a month now of having Verizon and given the fact that I cannot trust your promotions or advertisements to be accurate I think that I would have been better off staying with Cox cable. I'm discouraged enough to strongly suspect that I will switch back to Cox cable the instant my contract is up with Verizon! I can buy my own tablet for under $100 without a problem but your offer of a free tablet was the deciding factor in going with Verizon. You people should be ashamed and I do plan on filing a complaint with consumer protection so that your dishonesty will be publicized. And I am certainly not going to pay for a two-year contract on a tablet just to receive one for free.

And if you would've publicized a way to reach your customer service by e-mail I would not have to publicly post a complaint. I Definitely Should Have Stayed with Cox Cable!

Rachel861

I never received my certificate for the free LG tablet.  Does anyone know what i can do get another one? 

0 Likes
ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

You would need to contact Verizon directly.

0 Likes
bophi

i got my paper to get the free tablet today , then i find out i have to pay 10 $ a month for 2 years (240$) for a free tablet, i called verizon they said i should have read my email, but that was 4 days after the 2 year new bundle package agreement.i was not told about the 2 year wireless agreement for 10 $ a month. i have a ipad, and use my wireless router at home, and other places that have wireless access, why would any one want to do this wireless service. when my 2 years are up i will leave verizon.

0 Likes
MHFP

Just faced the same issue. Was looking to cut some services to save money. The sales rep upgraded my internet speed and got me a discount on Premium channels, with a minimal savings, but I needed to sign on for a 2 year contract which I wasnt interested in doing. He noted that I would then get a FREE LG tablet or $200 towards any other tablet at the Verizon store. No mention of any additional charges, costs or committment.

I am not a senior, am a physician and consider myself an intelligent person who understands English and expects to receive promised services.

My internet was being upgraded and I had to sign the contract on my smart phone. The need for a 2 year committment was buried in the email received and was not noted. Even so, there was no mention of a minimum per month charge for this committment to receive the tablet.

The letter and certificate for the FREE TABLET did not arrive until just after the 30 day window to cancel. It was clearly marked with the need to "Activate your new tablet with a two-year Verizon Wireless line of service for as little as $10/month line access".

I saw this and fuming, contacted Verizon Customer Service. I was told it was clearly noted and they would not honor the Verbal Promise made by their sales agent. Neither would they would not cancel my 2 year contract.

I spoke to Miss Jones, a supervisor and she told me there was nothing she could do to rectify the situation.

Have been a customer since 1988 and am now counting the days until my 2 year contract is up and I will be cancelling all Verizon services at that time.

To me this is a clear cut an example of consumer fraud, and I will be pursuing other avenues for remediation.

0 Likes
cacaca1
Enthusiast - Level 1
so if you have already previous plan, all you have to do is to add, paying 30 monthly without initial 35 so called activation fee?
jazzybell

I WANT ONE OF THEM CAUSE I NEED A NEW ONE BUT I JUST WANNA KNOW IS IT FREE FORREAL BUT I DONT MIND IF I DID GOT ONE SO I CAN PLAY N TALK ON IT AN THANKS U

0 Likes
amyeharris3
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK - 

So was this really ever solved? I too, have fallen prey to this bait and switch.  

I switched mainly because of this awesome "free tablet" offer, and because it would be slighly lower than Comcast.  

Now told that there is nothing anyone can do - I can get a tablet, but at a cost of $30 / month.  The service is something I don't need, and certainly can afford.  

Am being told all over the place (e-mail, phone) that there's nothing more I can do.  It's in the fine print, true, but the sales rep. said nothing about activation.  In fact, he said I could do either a free tablet or $150 off my bill.  

i get that they may be covered legally, but this is pretty sad.  I'll be switching the second my contract is up if there's no resolution.  

Did anyone get a resolution....?

amyeharris3
Enthusiast - Level 2

You sure you want one? I'm not using mine.  Not about to pay an additional $30 / month.

JackE50

APL999,

It's not just senior citizen's that are being taken advantage of, I was too and I found a number of complaints about this issue on various websites.  Customer service wasn't interested in addressing the problem. They told me to call Verizon Wireless to straighten it out. I replied that's like asking me to call Walmart, it's a different company, Verizon FiOS made the offer so they should be accountable. To file a complaint I was told to send a letter to the corporate office in New York, or use the Contact Us page. I searched this site high and low to file a compaint and there simply isnt' a method on this site that allows you to submit a formal complaint so here I am. Hope this helpful to anyone else who's told they will get a 'Free' tablet.

0 Likes