Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

Beware Fake Verizon Agents Trying To Get Into Your House

Gene47
Contributor
Contributor

Beware Fake Verizon Agents Trying To Get Into Your House

Message 1 of 10
(38,864 Views)

Friday night 8:15 PM May 10, 2013.  There was a knock at my front door, I answered. I saw two men wearing red Verizon T-shirts and carrying clipboards.  One did all the talking and he said they were checking on the service of Verizon customers, and he knew I had Verizon. I told him I hadn't called Verizon and I didn't need them to come in. He made it clear that they were only in the neighborhood to see that their clients were satisfied with their service, and not having any problems. He made it clear that he was not a salesman and that he was only in the neighborhood to check on our service. I would not let them in and eventually they left and went to the house next door.  I know the house next to me does not have Verizon service, so when they knocked on the door I told them, from my front porch, "that house does not have Verizon." The "Verizon rep" then told me that "then I can make a sale" and kept knocking on the door.  I told him that he was a salesman so he had lied to me, he was not just checking on the service of Verizon customers. He did not want to leave and it ended up with me asking them both to leave the property.  I then called Verizon, and asked a company employee if there were Verizon representatives in our neighborhood going door to door making sales, or checking on Verizon service.  The Verizon employee put me on hold and checked with a couple of other departments, and came back telling me that NO, they did not send agents out, these were not Verizon agents at our door.  They only send out Verizon agents if WE CALL THEM and request a Verizon agent to be sent to our house.  It appears these were potential con men or possibly robbers who were posing as Verizon agents in order to gain access to my house.  I looked up and down my street a few times to see which house they were at but these "Verizon men" were nowhere to be seen.  I called a couple of neighbors to warn them not to let these fake Verizon men in, but my neighbors had not been visited. I called 911 and a police car drove around the neighborhood looking for them so they could be questioned, but in a follow-up call I found out that the police could not find them. We have had several break-ins, and robberies, in my neighborhood, and robbers have claimed to be someone they were not, like gas & electric company reps, hospital reps, etc. to get into a person's house. I would like to warn the Verizon community to beware of fake Verizon agents, if you did not call Verizon and request someone to come out and check on your service, then do not let an unexpected "Verizon agent" into your home.

9 REPLIES 9
lmp
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Beware Fake Verizon Agents Trying To Get Into Your House

Message 2 of 10
(38,826 Views)

thank you for letting everyone know abot this.

Heather_VZ
Silver Contributor V
Silver Contributor V

Message 3 of 10
(38,777 Views)

Hi Gene-

I talked to a few people within Verizon about your experience. While I can't speak to the specifics of what you saw, here is what I do know about Verizon's practices:

1) We do have teams that go door-to-door selling service. But, they should have a badge on that states their name and has their picture on it. 

2) Because of the local nature of door-to-door marketing, the agent you spoke to may not have known that there was a team in the area, so there is a chance they were legitimate.

All that said, without knowing the specifics, I cannot confirm that the folks you saw were legitimately working for Verizon. You were absolutely correct to be suspicious and to not let them in your home- I would have done the same thing.

If you want to send me a private message with the exact dates, time and location that this happened, I'd be happy to do more investigating into this!

Thanks,

Heather

lawrenceville
Contributor
Contributor

Message 4 of 10
(38,468 Views)

A young woman knocked on my door in Lawrenceville, NJ, and said she was from Verizon.  She was going door to door - without a car, which is strange in our suburban neighborhood (houses are far apart).  I didn't sign up, but I told her to check back.  She said she'd be in the area the next day, and I said that I'd be happy to take her number in case she missed us.  She said she couldn't give out her number, but she took mine.  I also had to practically beg for literature (she said she only had one pamphlet, so she didn't want to give her last one away).   I've never received another visit or a call, and in hindsight many of her questions seem like the kind of things someone might be asking to figure out a plan for a robbery.  Is there a way to verify whether a Verizon reporesentative was out in a specific area on a specific day?

Heather_VZ, if you could find that out, you just might put my mind at ease!  And the truth is, I'm interested in signing up for Fios, so it's strange I've never heard anything back.  

d2drep1
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 10
(37,757 Views)

I think that people should not impose on the homes of others, however, if ethically responsible, and respectable people want to try to make a living by promoting Verizon services, they should do so with proper authorization, and be conscious of the privacy of the people they address. Also, they should be more direct and honest about why they are there & empathetic to the people's individual feelings about entering into conversation with them. Door to door promotional and sales representatives undergo a lot being exposed to all types of weather and walking long distances; At the same time, they have to sometimes put their physical needs aside in order to prepare themselves to speak properly to all kinds of people & be aware of each individual humans feelings & follow protocol in the hopes that they can offer customers better quality of life with their services. It is not for the weak willed. I think residents should take into consideration that once they are sure they have encountered a legitimately certified rep who is non-threatening it would be nice to give them consideration because of how much extra effort they put in to make something positive out of an encounter that is sometimes just as intimidating or maybe more unsafe for those who are travelling on their own.  I think your encounter was very circumstantially based on the recent break-ins in your neighborhood, and possibly the lack of skills/abilities of the person whom you spoke with. With that being said, it is unfortunate if people were posing as honest reps & that people give a reason for being closed off and skeptical to talk to new people. It reflects poorly on the honest people just trying to be advantageous of the opportunities they are given... and it seems to have caused bad press. It only took one person on the internet heading their blog with "Beware fake verizon reps trying to get in your house" to reflect poorly on thousands of honest reps around the nation. 

tmtmtm22
Contributor
Contributor

Message 6 of 10
(36,024 Views)

Hi there,

My 88 year old neighbor had a visitor claiming to be from Verizon asking if she wanted fios. The person had a badge but wouldn't show it. I tried to call customer service and the local store to see if they had people in the area this weekend but they had no info about how to find out. There has to be a number to call if to find out if these people are legit. Could you please help me find out how to check? Also, there should be a procedure to find this out other than asking the person who may or may not be legit.

Thanks,

{edited for privacy}

ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus

Message 7 of 10
(36,016 Views)

You can try the 1-800-verizon number.

tmtmtm22
Contributor
Contributor

Message 8 of 10
(36,014 Views)

Thanks, I called them and they said they had no idea who to call about that. I called the local store too.

rowelandis
Contributor
Contributor

Message 9 of 10
(23,985 Views)

There were three of them who knocked on my door. We told them we are not the homeowners even if we were. Then they started asking what car the owner drives. What does a type car that we drive got to do with a Verizon service? Scary...

@Gene47 wrote:

Friday night 8:15 PM May 10, 2013.  There was a knock at my front door, I answered. I saw two men wearing red Verizon T-shirts and carrying clipboards.  One did all the talking and he said they were checking on the service of Verizon customers, and he knew I had Verizon. I told him I hadn't called Verizon and I didn't need them to come in. He made it clear that they were only in the neighborhood to see that their clients were satisfied with their service, and not having any problems. He made it clear that he was not a salesman and that he was only in the neighborhood to check on our service. I would not let them in and eventually they left and went to the house next door.  I know the house next to me does not have Verizon service, so when they knocked on the door I told them, from my front porch, "that house does not have Verizon." The "Verizon rep" then told me that "then I can make a sale" and kept knocking on the door.  I told him that he was a salesman so he had lied to me, he was not just checking on the service of Verizon customers. He did not want to leave and it ended up with me asking them both to leave the property.  I then called Verizon, and asked a company employee if there were Verizon representatives in our neighborhood going door to door making sales, or checking on Verizon service.  The Verizon employee put me on hold and checked with a couple of other departments, and came back telling me that NO, they did not send agents out, these were not Verizon agents at our door.  They only send out Verizon agents if WE CALL THEM and request a Verizon agent to be sent to our house.  It appears these were potential con men or possibly robbers who were posing as Verizon agents in order to gain access to my house.  I looked up and down my street a few times to see which house they were at but these "Verizon men" were nowhere to be seen.  I called a couple of neighbors to warn them not to let these fake Verizon men in, but my neighbors had not been visited. I called 911 and a police car drove around the neighborhood looking for them so they could be questioned, but in a follow-up call I found out that the police could not find them. We have had several break-ins, and robberies, in my neighborhood, and robbers have claimed to be someone they were not, like gas & electric company reps, hospital reps, etc. to get into a person's house. I would like to warn the Verizon community to beware of fake Verizon agents, if you did not call Verizon and request someone to come out and check on your service, then do not let an unexpected "Verizon agent" into your home.

LawrenceC
Moderator Moderator

Message 10 of 10
(23,981 Views)

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title