Change the stupid Catch-22 verification system for Tech Support
AAT2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Your current tech support identity verification system leaves a lot to be desired.  It puts people in a catch 22.  The other day, my internet service went out completely.  I rebooted my Vz wifi router, tried unplugging it from the actual cable and ran through all the normal troubleshooting steps.  I finally broke down and called tech support.  The first prompt I get to (since I'm calling from my VERIZON FIOS TRIPLE PLAY HOME PHONE) asked me if I was calling in regard to my phone #.  I said yes.  After the automated system pulled up my account and I said I was trying to get Tech Support, it decided I needed to be transferred.  HERE IS WHERE THE PROBLEM STARTS:

1.  It asks for my 10 digit account number.  QUICK!  What is your account #?  Don't know it?  You can find it ONLINE at Verizon.com.  BUT wait you say!  My internet is down.  How in God's name do I get to Verizon.com to find my account number especially since I signed up for EBILLING like verizon bugs you to do?  Thankfully, Verizon has an answer:

2.  Just enter the exact amount you paid us last month!  Quick!  What did you pay Vz last month?  Don't remember?  Right, neither do I.  But I can look it up on my bank's web site.  Wait.  Oh, right!  NO INTERNET!  I CAN'T LOOK IT UP!

Now, if I didn't happen to have an ipad with wireless service, I'd be in trouble.  Why?  Because Verizon DOES NOT HAVE A MOBILE PHONE ACCESSIBLE WEBSITE.  Yes, if you are using a mobile phone to access Verizon.com, you end up with lots of blank pages and can't get to the bill.

Then, to add insult to injury, (Remember, I'm calling from MY VERIZON HOME PHONE!), I finally get the right information, punch it all in, and what is the first question the tech support person asks me? CAN I PLEASE VERIFY MY ACCOUNT INFORMATION!!!  

Seriously?  Do you have random people calling for tech support from inside their victim's home?  All she should require is the name on the account and at most billing zip code.  Having to verify everything all over again was the most aggravating experience I have had in recent memory.  It's not quite a bad as the reason I left Comcast in the first place.  After cutting off my service, they wouldn't let me pay the bill without me verifying the account number.  I thought that was the height of stupidity and I switched the very next month.  Please please change this.  Find another means of verification.  It was fine when your account number was your phone number.  That is no longer the case.

0 Likes
Re: Change the stupid Catch-22 verification system for Tech Support
npjenjen

Hear, Hear!  I heartily agree with you!!!!!  Yes, it is SO FRUSTRATING!!!!   My anecdote is not as "hilarious" as yours, but I can empathize.... I wanted only to make my telephone line a "fax only" line.  First I tried the on-line - automated responder..... the first thing I was told - "You must have a home telephone line"  - uh, duh!.  Then, when I replied that I did, the next answer was "follow the instructions written in the booklet provided with your fax machine" -  uhhh, duh - again!!!!

Next, I tried the on-line (live) chat.   That's when it started.... the first, the HUGE disclaimer that, in order to help, must access account, yadda, yadda, etc... to which I clicked "I agree/understand".  On line - who are you, what is your phone number? (well, I don't use my home # regularly, so, um, let me look it up).  Then, explaining the dilemma, and mentioning that the on-line virtual agent said it won't work unless the "call waiting feature" is de-activated....... really, I was asking if this is true- instead, the agent wanted my account number (oh, gee, let me pull that out of my hat), to be able to make changes to my account..... before even answering if that was the question or not..... Anyway, I became irritated, so, I said I needed to check something and would disconnect now, and reconnect later.... But, I "laughed" at your description, not because it was funny (in retrospect, it is), but, because I could identify with everything you were saying!!!!!  What ever happened to a "live" person being able to "talk" with you, instead of following some (stupid) script that assumes that you (the customer) are ignorant......

0 Likes