explain Video Franchise Fee & PEG Grant Fee
Corvid1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can anyone explain how the Video Franchise Fee and PEG Grant Fee are calculated?  I thought these were supposed to be assessed against my bill at about 5% and 3%, respectively.  Howver, my 1st FiOS bill indicates these fees effectively are being charged to me at a much higher rate - perhaps nearly twice as high.  

It appears that Verizon may be adding up all the charges without factoring in any of the considerable amount of "credits and discounts" which they have factored into their low "advertised" cost (e.g., to  induce me to sign up for Triple Play), but Verizon then uses this inflated gross billing amount as the basis for applying the combined 8% televison fee charges. 

Effectively, it appears as though Verizon is offering to greatly discount their monthly cost for TV services but doesn't inform its customers that they will  have to pay a considerable ADDITIONAL sum to cover taxes on the amount which Verizon has supposedly "saved" them.

0 Likes
Re: explain Video Franchise Fee & PEG Grant Fee
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Both of those fees are gross receipts taxes imposed on Verizon by your local taxing authority for the "priveledge" of allow them to provide you with TV service in your city/township/neighborhood and passed on to you.  Legalized extortion some would say.  🙂

You should be able to get the rates which apply to your area from your local taxing authority.

All service providers, to my knowledge, including Verizon and Comcast from personal experience, advertise their rates for service with the little asterisk next them that say "taxes not included" since that amount varies widely from location to location.  When comparing rates, those taxes should be roughly equivalent across all services, so if looking at advertising, it's a fair comparison (just not an accurate reflection of your final cost in any providers case).   If comparing using an existing service's bill, you need to use the amount "pre-tax" as your rate for comparison.

defjab42
Enthusiast - Level 2

PEG = Public, Education, Gov't  -

Public - the public access station in your area

Educational - Educational programs , u sually linked to the public schools, high school sports etc

Governemtn - City council meetings and the like

Video Franchise - As lasgna mentioned, this is on a city by city basis

These fees are negotiated bettween Verizon and the local government. It's usually a flat fee, not a percentage, but this is based off of 3 different localities that I have lived in while in MA

0 Likes
Re: explain Video Franchise Fee & PEG Grant Fee AND Subway/MTA yearly addons
billle

?Why is it you can't get a go to person to answer these questions about Video Franchise Fee & PEG Grant Fee AND NYC Subway/MTA  charges - from the People  [ Verizon]who are collecting these charges,instead of being sent to a blog forum.

If Verizon collects these fees they should have FULL knowledge of them.

?Why am I sending monies through my phone co for educational grants to others when as you can see from my grammar and spelling I need it more.

?Franchise video fees by state by state seems to discriminate on certain areas with no explanation-lucky Florida.

?And why in hell does the MTA  NYC subways system get to put there hands in my pocket--what's this all about"GLEN" where are you....

There is a real phantom tax and fee group hiding in here.

Unhappy bill payer.........

0 Likes
Michellle123

could you explain what percentage the PEG fee is, my PEG fee seems to be changing according to the number of movies I rent.

does the PEG fee applies  also to the movies I rent? the whole bill? or which portion of the bill?

do you also know about state sales taxes? do they apply to to the movie rental also?

thanks

0 Likes
Verizonminus
Enthusiast - Level 1

The amount of movies rented does increase the cost of the PEG Grant payment . That $5.99 movie you rent, you know the one you stop to get a snack 5 minutes before it's over. Yes, the one you come back to wanting to finish the movie and then it makes you start all over again with the weakest fast forward available and it takes half an hour ro watch the last 5 minutes---it's not 5.99. Between the PEG Grant and taxes it's more (you need a CPA to determine how much more). 

Da_Papol_926

BILLIE, I AGREE 1000% WITH YOUR FRUSTRATION Smiley Mad!!!

I am a New York State resident and live in Nassau County, Long Island. I recently switched my cable, phone and internet service from Optimum Cable (Cablevision) to Verizon's Triple Play package.  I was very discontent with Optimum's service and ballooning prices so I figured I'd switch to another provider and save myself the frustration!

I switched to Verizon just eight (8) days ago and I'm presently unsure that my frustration level will not exceed the level previously reached when I had Optimum Cable Smiley Sad!

Verizon seems to be too large to catch up with itself. Their website always has glitches and nothing seems to work as advertised. I've been trying to get one question answered for the past few days and it seems that no one at Verizon knows the answer. I've called Verizon's customer service number at 1-800-VERIZON and been transferred from customer service to financial customer service and finally billing without answers to my question!

I've asked Verizon to please provide me with the percentages (aka percent values) used to compute all the taxes, fees and surcharges added to the basic service package cost.  While I understand that certain charges are fixed fees billed to all Verizon accounts (i.e. the 911 Surcharge of $0.35), there are definitely fees that are computed based on a percentage of the basic service package cost.  After a number of days calling customer service, I was finally told by a representative of Verizon's billing department that the information I was requesting was not available to Verizon support personnel!  I'm definitely not blaming Verizon's support personnel but It seems that "someone" or "something" at Verizon computes the "magic numbers" and adds them to our bills without anyone's knowledge of what they actually are.....this is absolutely ludicrous!

Is there anyone at Verizon who knows the answer to the questions raised by Billie and me??? If there is, then let's start-off the year on a high note and provide clear and definitive answers to these questions!

Another Very Unhappy Verizon Bill Payer!

0 Likes
LarryTate

Is it true that my PEG fee will increase based on the amount of movies I rent? That Netflix sucks it is. (SNL humor)

SO if I know the percentages and rate tables for the governemnt exto..I mean taxes will I be able to tell Verizon I opt out? If not what is the point?

If these taxes go to CSPAN channels I have no problem.

If these taxes are simply giving money to politicians to steal and misuse then I have a problem with it.

0 Likes
leebuen

The PEG program was suspended for acadamic year 2012-2013, but the PEG Grant Fee continues to appear on my monthly statement as usual. 

From reading my Verizon statement, it appears that the only charges which government bodies require Verizon to collect from customers are state sales and federal excise taxes.

All the other charges are courtesy of Verizon.  These are fees that Verizon is charged by various government bodies, and Verizon has decided it's much nicer (for them) to make their customers pay these fees by charging them as line items under the "Verizon Surcharges & Other Charges & Credits" heading.  Thus we, the customers, have the privilege of paying Verizon's  bills for such things as "Verizon Property Tax Recovery Charge", "Federal Universal Service Fee", "License Fee" , PEG Grant Fee, etc., freeing the cable company from having to pay these pesky charges themselves.

I sure wish had someone I could bill in order to recover my property taxes.  (Sigh)

0 Likes
shortcircuit

I wish I could run a business and pass on all my expenses to some one else too!

0 Likes