Fios disconnect, prorated billing
AS110
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called to disconnect my Fios service about a month ago, and was told on the phone by the customer service rep that my final bill would include a prorated refund since it was the beginning of my billing cycle. Based on that information I decided to go ahead with the disconnect right then (rather than wait for the end of the cycle). Well, my final bill came, and there's no refund. I called to inquire and this time was told that Verizon does not issue prorated refunds for internet-only accounts. Huh?? Every other internet/TV/phone provider I've ever had will prorate your bill when you cancel, and I was told that Verizon would do the same! This seems very shady to me - tell me one thing on the phone one day and then a different thing once I've made a decision based on that info. The supervisor I spoke with said that even if I was told something by a customer service rep they won't stand by it and issue my refund. I may try disputing the charge with my credit card company next. Has anyone else had this isssue??

Re: Fios disconnect, prorated billing
jonjones1
Legend

This is a common complaint. Just do a google search on it of even a forum search on it.

as a rule if you are paying for a service IN ADVANCE the days from say August 1-August 31 would be your start and end dates.

unless there is a valid reason to cancel after you paid for the service like moving within those dates or dying or severely injured etc. it is paid service up to the end date.

in this scenario you get no prorated refund unless the company does so out of a courtesy to you. But it is not required.

some folks here will say Verizon does prorated refunds, some say they actually received them others state they never received them or others say after going to a government agency like the FCC or state public utilities or public service commission did they get a rebated portion back.

so there is no clear answer. Sorry

0 Likes
AS110
Enthusiast - Level 2

UPDATE: Since Verizon would not honor their (stated) policy, I disputed the charge with my credit card company (AmEx), and have since received the prorated refund. I'm not sure if AmEx got Verizon to refund it, or just ate the cost themselves to make me a satisfied customer, but either way I got my refund.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@AS1 wrote:

UPDATE: Since Verizon would not honor their (stated) policy, I disputed the charge with my credit card company (AmEx), and have since received the prorated refund. I'm not sure if AmEx got Verizon to refund it, or just ate the cost themselves to make me a satisfied customer, but either way I got my refund.

In as much American Express gave the credit to your account which Amex is famous for doing, they will not eat the amount back on your account. They will contact Verizon and inquire as to if this is a policy or if it was a valid charge. It may appear again at a later date. I have used Amex over 40 years, and they do release a chargeback if the vendor contests it.

hopefully you will prevail.

0 Likes
frustrated181

Happened to me too.   Verizon has turned into $ machine - no customer service.  

0 Likes
bakerbrown1
Enthusiast - Level 2

yes they doing it to me i paid for service i don't have ripoff i was told they don't prorate 

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes