Fios TV Availability Issues..
robcar
Enthusiast - Level 1

I live in the Dorchester section of Boston, Mass (02122)

I currently have Fios internet service, but I can't get Fios TV service...WHY???

WHY??? It seems VERY VERY DUMB to me...

Please explain this to me?

Thank You....

Rob.....

Re: Fios TV Availability Issues..
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Doubt you'll hear from Verizon here on that particular question ....

But I will suggest that it might have to do with local TV franchising agreements.  Believe it or not, your local governing body actually determines what providers can bring cable TV to your home -- and further actually charges those entities a "franchasing fee" for the privilege.   This is little more than a government sanctioned form of extortion -- but it's a pretty common practice.

So, your first question might be to your local government -- asking if Verizon has applied for or been refused franchising rights in your area.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
And further actually charges those entities a "franchasing fee" for the privilege.   This is little more than a government sanctioned form of extortion -- but it's a pretty common practice.

Extortion is illegal!

Points to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extortion

--

Please explain what is meant by a sanctioned extortion and how that can be legal.

Thanks.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe the government calls it a ""tax".  Smiley Very Happy

In this instance, it's a thinly veiled "rental charge" imposed by the local government to supposedly cover the rental of space in the "right of way" (supposedly that's supposed to come back to the taxpayer in the form of reduced taxes or improved services,  since that "space" in many cases crosses private land as well, but I somehow doubt that ever actually occurs).

Of course, it matters not that the company may already be paying the "fee" to bring you telephone and/or internet over the same lines.  You want to be a provider of TV services in a community, then you have to pay up.

In theory anyone who "pays" the fee can provide services, but it's also been rumored to be used by local governments to play favorites and control exactly what services can be delivered to their residents. 

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

lasagna wrote:,
but it's also been rumored to be used by local governments to play favorites and control exactly what services can be delivered to their residents. 

That is not right!

I am just wondering..

Should the Mythbusters get involved to find out the truth?

Points to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters

Thanks.

0 Likes