Question on a security email I received
kellerjean

I received this following email 7/26/10  ......   is it legit or spam/phishing?    Thanks

Dear Valued Verizon Customer,

Customer security is a top priority for Verizon and we are currently in the process of reviewing administrative password security for the FiOS Broadband Home Routers that Verizon provides as a part of our FiOS services.

You are receiving this email because we identified that your FiOS Broadband Home Router has a "default" password (like "password1" or "admin1"). To improve the security of your Broadband Home Router, we have reset the router administrative password to match the serial number located on the router. The router username will remain the same.

Please note that there is no action required on your part: this security update will not impact use of your computer or your FiOS Internet service and will not change any of your personal network, web or email settings.

If you would like more information about this matter or instructions on how to locate the router's serial number, please visit http://support.verizon.com/fiossecurerouter.

We value you as a customer and look forward to continuing to serve you.

Sincerely,

Verizon

0 Likes
Re: Question on a security email I received
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Hi kellerjean, that is a legit notification. 

Re: Question on a security email I received
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

As mentioned on a number of other threads questioning the same email, this is legit.  If there is concern about the legitimacy of the link, copy and paste the URL into the address bar instead of clicking on it.  As it's a verizon URL, this will insure you go to Verizon's site which will explain why and how to change the password to insure you are properly protected.