Sent to collections
smanos89

I'm not sure if other customers have experienced this but I was sent to collections by mistake recently and I'm still trying to figure out why.  I had Verizon Fios until mid July this year.  We unfortunately had to move from a neighborhood with Fios to one without.  I called to have our Fios cancelled and HighSpeed Internet/Phone started at our new place.  I was told it was no problem and I didn't need to pay any fee since I was still keeping a service with the company.  Since you have a new account started when you move, I could no longer use my verizon account to access information regarding the previous account.  Unsure if I had a balance or credit on my previous account, I called Verizon a few times in August to find out what I may owe.  I was assured that I didn't have a balance.  However, I got a letter on September 18 (dated September 12) from a a collections agency saying that I needed to pay my balance of $45.24 immediately.  At first I thought it was a scam since I was assured that I did not owe anything on my previous account.  So I called Verizon to double check.  Not a scam- I had actually been sent to collections!  When I asked why I was told that I had a remaining balance on my old account.  I informed the coutomer service rep. that I never recieved notice and I called a few times to check and was told that I didn't owe anything. My call was bounced between billing and finance quite a few times.  At one point I was told that I was never notified because I never updated my forwarding address with them..........I don't understand how that is possible- I have internet/phone and I've received bills at my new address and am current on my account.  I paid what I was told was $45.24 and was never given an explanation for the reason I was sent to collections- except that it was my fault.  It clearly wasn't!  Also, when I checked my bank account I was actually charged $48.74! I know that's just change, but that is super shady to tell me I'mbeing charged one amount and then actually charge me something else!  I'm fine paying what I owe, but I would really like an explanation as to why I was sent to collections.  I'd really like this situation rectified ASAP, but I doubt it'll happen.  Hoping that I won't have problems breaking my contract in a few months as my husband is in the Navy and we will be moving and not getting Verizon.  Hopefully no one else has been sent to collections due to Verizon's error, but I just wanted to warn other customers that it's a possibility!

0 Likes
Re: Sent to collections
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi smanos89,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes