Verizon charging higher sales tax rate than it should for Westchester County, NY residents!
misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1

I live in Westchester County, NY and my local sales tax rate is 7.375% (there are other parts of the county which have a higher rate, for those in city areas). Recently, I did not return the old router when a  replacement was sent to me, so my bill had an extra charge of $99.99 (+tax) on my bill. I subsequently returned the router and this month's bill is cheaper. However, in comparing the monthly charges, and the taxes charged from month to month (from the normal month's bill to the inflated one and now to the reduced one), it appears that I am being charged 8.375%,. When I look at the "alternate view of tax" on the billing website, I see this breakdown, which makes it pretty clear that I am being charged 8+% since the state sales tax is 4% and county is obviously the same. This is based on a $30 charge:

NY State Sales Tax    1.20
NY County Sales Tax 1.20
NY District Sales Tax   .11

So, how do I get this fixed, and if Verizon won't look at it, how do I report it to the state for them to investigate? I wonder how long this has been going on?

0 Likes
Re: Verizon charging higher sales tax rate than it should for Westchester County, NY residents!
Snookered2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Don't have a clue.  After awhile, I did notice all these different taxes, surcharges,

fees for this & that, fluctuating prices and they may slip-in the Literarcy Donation

Program.

Don't forget the letter that went out last year from a ghost law firm, in reference

to a class action lawsuit for slamming customers.  I'm certain it was a quick

& small monetary settlement.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon charging higher sales tax rate than it should for Westchester County, NY residents!
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@misterbill99 wrote:

I live in Westchester County, NY and my local sales tax rate is 7.375% (there are other parts of the county which have a higher rate, for those in city areas). Recently, I did not return the old router when a  replacement was sent to me, so my bill had an extra charge of $99.99 (+tax) on my bill. I subsequently returned the router and this month's bill is cheaper. However, in comparing the monthly charges, and the taxes charged from month to month (from the normal month's bill to the inflated one and now to the reduced one), it appears that I am being charged 8.375%,. When I look at the "alternate view of tax" on the billing website, I see this breakdown, which makes it pretty clear that I am being charged 8+% since the state sales tax is 4% and county is obviously the same. This is based on a $30 charge:

NY County Sales Tax 1.20

So, how do I get this fixed, and if Verizon won't look at it, how do I report it to the state for them to investigate? I wonder how long this has been going on?

I'm a little confused. You throw conflicting numbers out there (should it be 7.375 or 4?), but looking at these numbers from 1 $30 bill:

NY State Sales Tax    1.20 = 4.0% of $30

NY County Sales Tax 1.20 = 4.0% of $30

NY District Sales Tax   .11 = 0.366...% of $30

I'm not seeing the 8+% you refer to.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@somegirl wrote:

@misterbill99 wrote:

NY County Sales Tax 1.20

I'm a little confused. You throw conflicting numbers out there (should it be 7.375 or 4?), but looking at these numbers from 1 $30 bill:

NY State Sales Tax    1.20 = 4.0% of $30

NY County Sales Tax 1.20 = 4.0% of $30

NY District Sales Tax   .11 = 0.366...% of $30

I'm not seeing the 8+% you refer to.

He's saying the taxes should be 7,375 total 4% state and 3.375% county/local.  Parts of his county pay different rates.  Looks like he says he's being charged 

state                 4% of 30 =  1.20

County              4% of 30 = 1.20

local district 0.375 of 30 =   .11

total               8.375 of 30 = 2.51

Clearly needs to directly contact verizon.  Most likely during business hours via the general 800-VERIZON numger.

misterbill99
Contributor - Level 1
TNS_2 wrote:

He's saying the taxes should be 7,375 total 4% state and 3.375% county/local.  Parts of his county pay different rates.  Looks like he says he's being charged 

state                 4% of 30 =  1.20

County              4% of 30 = 1.20

local district 0.375 of 30 =   .11

total               8.375 of 30 = 2.51

Clearly needs to directly contact verizon.  Most likely during business hours via the general 800-VERIZON numger. 

Correct. The sales tax rate should be comprised of 4% state, 3% county and .375% MTA surcharge = 7.375%. Not 8.375%.

0 Likes