Why won't Verizon close my account?
M-Reilly
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is getting really tiresome, so I thought I'd reach out to other Verizon customers to see if anyone has any suggestions on how to deal with the absolute stupidity within this company.

It was the weekend of July 25/26 that I made the decision to end my contract with Verizon because another provider was able to offer more product at a lower price. I called customer service to close my triple play account on Sunday and was told they were sorry to see me go but they would send a box and mailing label to return my equipment.

Said equipment was returned on August 5. Thank goodness I saved the UPS drop-off receipt. Tracking number shows package arrived safely at the Verizon destination facility.

August 3 - Paid regular monthly statement

August 31 - Paid much lower statement thinking it was for partialmonth after closing of account

Mid-September - New statement arrives showing my account still active for tv and internet. I call customer service and am told that because my original cancel was on a weekend, a weekday supervisor would have had to flip the actual switches which apparently never happened. Customer service rep assures me that would be taken care of immediately. Silly me, thinking a simple error had been made, took the rep's word on faith. Bad move on my part because absolutely nothing was done to make my cancellation happen.

Mid October - Next statement arrives informing me that I am way past due... late fees are levied and it is stated that I am in jeopardy of having my credit report affected negatively if I do not pay ASAP.

October 19 - I call customer service yet again and speak to Chawana who tells me she will backdate the closing to July 31 and will issue a final statement. This time I did get aconfirmation number regarding the above-mentioned promise.

November 13 - Another statement arrives with BOLD LETTERING telling me my account is way past due and that Verizon will submit a negative credit report if I fail to pay the outstanding balance....... ON AN ACCOUNT THAT HAS HAD ITS EQUIPMENT RETURNED AFTER IT WAS CANCELLED WAY BACK IN JULY.

I'm really at wit's end with this company. How can their reps tell me straight-up lies? I had been with Verizon for a very long time and always thought them to be on the ball, but now I can see why somany people in my circles are fed up. 

I just want to say good bye...... It really should not be this difficult

Re: Why won't Verizon close my account?
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi M-Reilly,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, at the top of your support case there is a drop down menu for support case options. Open that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
This board is a sham...and I'll tell you why
M-Reilly
Enthusiast - Level 2

Every complaint on here gets "escalated to a Verizon agent" to make the customer feel like something is happening. Unfortunately this seems to be a Verizon tactic to shut down any interaction between customers.

My account was supposed to be closed in July of 2015 and they STILL haven't figured out how to do so. My request for help on this board two weeks ago has still not been adressed, and I'd venture to guess most others with similar complaints are in the same boat.

What the hell is it with this company? Last week I sent a snail mail letter to the customer service address listed on their web site. Said letter was returned to sender....... BECAUSE THEY MOVED AND NEVER UPDATED THE SITE INFO.

Pathetic.

They've billed me fraudulently for three months of service after I returned all equipment with THEIR RETURN LABEL. I guess they're thinking I'm stupid enough to pay them for something they are not actually providing?

Verizon has threatened with credit bureau notifications if I don'tpay their fraudulent bills ASAP. My credit is perfect.... It better stay that way.

Get your act together, Verizon. You're quickly becoming nothing but a corporate joke.

It'll be interesting to see how fast this post gets "escalated" so nobody can comment.....................................

Re: This board is a sham...and I'll tell you why
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi M-Reilly,

We're sorry that you are still trying to get this resolved.  Did you access your Private Support case and follow the instructions posted there by the agent?  We would be happy to reopen the case for you if you still wish to have a Private Support agent assist you with your issue.  Please let us know if you would like your case to be reopened.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

IN GENERAL THE BOARDS ARE NOT A SUPPORT MECHANISM.

They are PEER to PEER.  The escalation that the admins do for some problems is about all they can do you through the boards.  Other direct contact is needed for support.

A Peer

0 Likes
M-Reilly
Enthusiast - Level 2
I followed the instructions and never heard anything from anyone
0 Likes
M-Reilly
Enthusiast - Level 2
As I said, direct contact using the mailing address on the site resulted in "Return to Sender" because Verizon has not updated their site with the current address. Phone calls have resulted in bold faced lies made by Verizon staff. What do YOU think I should do besides venting to my peers on this board, Mr Peer?
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

@M-Reilly wrote:
I followed the instructions and never heard anything from anyone

The agent posted a link in your Private Support thread and requested that you initiate a conversation with them though their private, secure chat line.  Is that what you did, or are you talking about something else?  Again, the Private Support case is currently closed, but we would be happy to reopen it for you if you wish.

0 Likes
Msangib1

I had the same problem 12/ 2014.  I returned the equipment on time and they wanted  to bill me my final bill with the equipment.  it took me 9 months to get resolved and then sent me to collections for the final bill.  I told them once you take off the equipment THAT I RETURNED WITH UPS RECEIPT, I will pay.  Well Verizon, didnt even contact me once they resolved the issue.  I have many letters saying they would.  Got a call one day and the credit people stated that it was removed and would i pay my final bill.. Never said I wouldnt .. Went to pay it and the company wanted to settle.  so i paid it.    

Now it is 12/2015 and they reported it on my credit.  Luckily I have ALL my private messages and paid letter to dispute this negative on my credit.  

Good luck and don't give up . 

0 Likes
ben13811

Contact your state's utility regulatory commission. For New York it is Public Service Commission 800-342-3377 They aren't always the best but a good place to start. 

0 Likes