Switch Account

Who Me Too'd this topic

Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III
(166,177 Views)

Heya Verizon, I'm posting this in the Verizon FiOS Internet forums since this seems to be the place that attracts the most posts in regards to poor Wireless performance or range. What I plan to do in this thread which I will create in parts is to describe the many different issues that need to be taken into consideration when dealing with Wireless networking.

To start, let's first go on the basis of the two service bands and also the technology available for use today. Wi-Fi is known to run in the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band. 2.4Ghz band is the most commonly used service band and has exceptional range to performance characteristics which makes it the band of choice. 5Ghz is a service band with more allocation of spectrum to it, offers exceptional speed for data and also allows for high density wireless networking due to the significantly shorter range it has in comparison to it's big brother.

For Wireless technologies, to date we currently have Wireless A (5Ghz, old), B (2.4Ghz, very old), G (2.4Ghz, old), N (2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, new) and Wireless AC (5Ghz, draft). Each technology is ordered in age as follows: B, G, A, N, AC and each has a set of specifications that they follow that were based around previous generation Wireless standard with some additions, and with this comes some Backwards compatibility support: Wireless N is compatible with Wirleess G devices, which is compatible with Wireless B, and Wireless AC is compatible with Wireless N which is compatible with Wireless A. With backwards compatibility comes some downfalls.

Let's first start off by discussing what the key factor in Wireless reception and performance is, and that would be the quality of your signal. The quality of your signal is affected by many factors, such as nearby signals, the quality and grade of the antennas being used, the quality of the radios being used, the configuration of the gear, and the ability of Wireless signals to propagate amongst all things. In the case of Wi-Fi, all of this is quite important due to the high frequencies being used and the low power also being used to comply with FCC regulations and safety standards.

Who Me Too'd this topic