Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎07-31-2019

I'm getting poor DSL reliability due to way too many retrains. How do I get less, or none?


I'm getting a lot of outages caused by the DSL modem doing retrains. The line itself isn't having a problem as far as I can tell. No noise on the voice line, performance is always good, and the retrains don't change the speed much (mostly twiddle the upload speed up and down just a little bit, or sometimes just do nothing). Three ways this causes a problem:


1) When the modem has been turned off for a while, it sometimes does a lot of retrains when turned back on, making it difficult to get much of anything done in the first half hour or so. Turning the modem off at night is a recent change that made the problem worse, but even when I used to leave it on 24/7 I was getting hammered by retrains, sometimes as many as 90 in a day, and numbers in the 130's were common after it had been up a few days. Not always - sometimes there would be none for a couple of days.


2) Retrains cause some applications to fail in a very inconvenient way. Worst example: I downloaded a 3+gb map update for a TomTom GPS, which requires using their download software. It has no decent recovery - just fails at every retrain, and I have to go back and restart it manually. It took three days of manually restarting it over and over before I finally got 4 1/2 hours continuous use with no retrain or other outage so it could finish.


3) Having the telephone ring has a high probability of causing a retrain. Worst example of why that's a problem: I needed to sign in to a bank account that calls on the phone with a security code that has to be typed in. The first three calls each caused a retrain, and lost the security code. It finally worked on the 4th try, but it wasted quite a bit of time, and I'm concerned that the bank might have a limit on the number of failed attempts and lock me out.


I have the modem data from this morning. After 21 retrains, mostly in the first hour and a half, the speed is exactly what it always is when the modem is first turned on. When I looked again 6 hours later, it had done 5 more, and changed the up speed to 832 instead of 864. The line SNR's shown below are typical - they don't change much. Does anyone have any ideas on why there are so many retrains, and how to get them to stop? Thanks.


Connection Status
Connection Status
Broadband: CONNECTED
Internet Service Provider: CONNECTING

PPP Status
PPP Parameter Status
User Name: vze1eu2wy
LCP State: UP
IPCP State: UP
Authentication Failures: 0
Session Time: 0 Days, 4H:2M:27S
Packets Sent: 104348
Packets Received: 103484

Broadband Status
Broadband Parameter Status
VPI: 0
VCI: 35
Broadband Mode Setting: ADSL
Broadband Negotiated Mode: G.DMT
Connection Status: CONNECTED
Downstream Speed: 2944 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 864 Kbps
Retrains: 21
Retrain Timer: 0 Days, 0H:52M:11S
ATM QoS class: UBR
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 5902
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 21064
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 315
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 1878
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 5
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
SNR Downstream : 31 dB
SNR Upstream : 10 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 44 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 26 dB
Power Downstream 19 dBm
Power Upstream 11.9 dBm


Who Me Too'd this topic
Modal Dialogue Title