Switch Account

Who Me Too'd this solution

Gold Contributor VI Gold Contributor VI
Gold Contributor VI
Posts: 1,564
Registered: ‎12-02-2012

Re: Make do with an old router + WAC or upgrade ONT so I can get a new one


All ONTs support Ethernet WAN connection.  Verizon support can change it from coax to WAN in a few minutes with no cost.  If you can run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to the router location, you don’t need to pay Verizon to do it for you.


To switch from coax WAN to Ethernet WAN, contact Verizon via chat or the VZ direct forum on DSL reports.  The switch takes about five minutes.  Be sure the Ethernet cable is run before you do the switch!



If you have a really old ONT, it is limited to 100Mbps (maybe even 75Mbps).  If you faster service, an ONT upgrade is required.  You may be able to talk them out of the upgrade fee if you do it as part of a renewal.


A Verizon router is needed with TV service, but since you don’t have TV you can use any router you like.  Know that Verizon does not support non-Verizon routers.  That means if you have a problem (unlikely) and call in, they will verify if the ONT is working but go no further.  Keep your old Actiontec around in case you need it.


If you want to buy a Verizon router the current models are the G1100 and the newly released G3100.  You can review the details here:





View solution in original post

Who Me Too'd this solution