Switch Account

Who Me Too'd this solution

Silver Contributor IV Silver Contributor IV
Silver Contributor IV

Re: Ask The Expert: Have questions about moving your router or some other device with wired Ethernet or coax (MoCA)? The Expert is Here!

(2,584 Views)

@Khories wrote:

Hi Capricorn1,

Can you share your top 3 things to consider when moving a router? 

I never ran into any issues myself, but I am curious what issues others may run into.

Thank you! 

Probably the top thing to consider is how hard is it going to be to successfully move the router to where I want it to be? That is, is the move as simple as disconnecting some wires/cables at the current location, perhaps joining wires/cables in some fashion to keep signal continuity, and then hooking the router up to similar wires/cables at its new location? If so, that might take 20 minutes.

On the other hand, it might be as hard as cutting access holes into walls and ceilings and pulling (Ethernet or coax) cable, drilling holes through external walls to allow running a cable outside the residence to another floor and then more holes, and then patching those when all is done. That could be a weekend (or quite a cost to pay someone else to do it). (The answer to this question feeds into my third consideration below.)

The second thing I recommend considering is how suitable is the new location for the router? A couple of top reasons to move a router are to get better wireless network coverage or to get the wired Ethernet ports closer to the home office or gaming computer (or gaming console). To improve wireless coverage, the new location should ideally have as little metal and noise generation as possible. Things like filing cabinets, ductwork, steel I-beams, a refrigerator, and copper pipes can scatter the wireless RF signal. Some appliances like microwaves, wireless telephone base stations, copper wiring, etc. can generate signals that interfere with the RF waves). It might happen that the attempt to get rid of one “dead zone” creates a different one instead. If the router is being moved to get the hardwired Ethernets closer to something else, the wireless network shouldn’t suffer.

The third thing I would consider – especially if this is going to be a hard move – is can I “buy” my way out of the problem? This is rather counter to this Ask the Expert topic, but rather than trying to run wires to get a router more centralized (to improve the wireless signal), perhaps buy a mesh WiFi system like the Orbi sold by Verizon (or independently). If I wanted to get faster network speeds than my current router can support, perhaps I can buy a new WiFi 6 router and matching network card for the computer or a WiFi 6 mesh network (like the Orbi AX6000 or Linksys Velop AX6000). Tests have shown these reaching nearly 500-600 Mbps at close range and 300-400 Mbps at longer ranges. This approach isn’t cheap at today’s prices – about $700 for a router and one satellite, but if you are not willing to pull cables yourself to run Ethernet or coax, the cost might be a wash. If you have coax, but not Ethernet where you would like it, consider Ethernet to Coax (MoCA converters) like the Actiontec ECB6200 or newer ECB6250s. (If you have Verizon Fios TV service, these might need a bit of programming to use alternate frequencies on the coax.) I use ECB6200s to get Ethernet service from one side of my house to the other and up one floor. Even parts of the coax are original installation in the walls and attic (about 40 years old), I get about 700-800 Mbps with them.

[Be nice! We are mostly fellow Verizon customers.
My setup: 75/75 Mbps; Linux router (2x 1Gbps ports) + iptables; Linksys WRT1900ACS in Bridge Mode]

View solution in original post

Who Me Too'd this solution