Switch Account

Who Me Too'd this topic

Contributor
Contributor

Advice needed for ONT inside & enclosure outside

(669 Views)

I currently have Verizon FIOS service with an ONT inside my basement, and I'm looking for advice on whether I need to put an enclosure (demarc) outside.

About 6 months ago, Verizon replaced my old outdoor ONT with a new ONT installed in my basement. I still have the old enclosure on the back of the house which now simply connects the outdoor fiber line to the indoor fiber line.

New ONT inside basementNew ONT inside basementEnclosure on back of houseEnclosure on back of houseOutdoor fiber line to front of houseOutdoor fiber line to front of house

To prepare for some extensive construction work in the back of our house next week, I asked Verizon to run a new fiber line from the street to the front of the house. Yesterday, Verizon ran that new outdoor fiber line for me to the front of the house exactly as I had requested.

I am now getting some conflicting guidance from different Verizon technicians as to whether 1) I need to place a new enclosure on the front of the house to connect the the outdoor fiber to the indoor fiber line; or 2) I should simply run the outdoor fiber directly to the ONT installed in my basement. (The new outdoor fiber line is long enough to reach the ONT installed in my basement).

What are your thoughts? Are there any significant advantages and disadvantages on 1) placing a new enclosure on the front of the house; or 2) running the outdoor fiber line directly to the ONT installed in the basement?

Thanks,
Jason

Who Me Too'd this topic