Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get gifts fast with In-Store & Curbside Pickup or same-day delivery.

Who Me Too'd this topic

Contributor
Contributor

How to change WAN IP Address?

(1,438 Views)

I recently had FiOS installed in my home a few days ago and so far I am very satisfied with the service, except for one thing which I'm not too sure about. So I like to play online games, and unfortunately there are no shortage of users in online games who will use packet sniffing software to find your IP address and use this to send DDoS attacks to your internet connection when you are winning against them, causing your internet to disconnect, which is an unpleasant experience to be on the receiving end of, to say the least. Unfortunately this has happened to me many times, however when I had cable internet with Optimum, getting a new WAN IP address was as easy as cloning the router's MAC address to something else, and then bam, new IP. I tried this same process after switching to FiOS, but it doesn't seem to work, and I keep getting assigned the same WAN IP. I have been searching around the internet looking for a working method to accomplish this with FiOS, and here is what I have found: release DHCP lease, wait 5-15 minutes, renew DHCP lease (didn't work), release DHCP lease, clone MAC, wait 5-15 minutes, renew DHCP lease (also didn't work). If anyone knows a current way to change your WAN IP Address on FiOS that works in 2020, please do reply below, as I have been scared to play any games online since I got FiOS because if I become the target of a DDoS attack again I don't have a reliable way to pick up a new WAN IP.

Thanks

I'm using the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X with the black Verizon ONT model I-211M-L

Who Me Too'd this topic