Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Who Me Too'd this topic

dexman
All Star
All Star

ONT Upgrade Update.

(1,317 Views)

I bit and scheduled an upgrade of the Tellabs 611 ONT along with a bump-up of our Internet service to 400.

A few notes from yesterday's activities.....

.The Verizon field service technician, John, said that once saw my backboard, he knew someone in the house was involved with telecom.

.He was able to repurpose the Tellabs enclosure by drilling the mounting screws in and sliding the Alcatel-Lucent 211 in place.

.The first ONT he brought in from his truck could not be used because the 6P6C modular plug on my replacement telephone cable would not stay secured. He even tried a test cable in his pouch. Same story. He fetched a different one off the truck and it was fine.

. Verizon no longer uses Digicon RG6 compression connectors. Like Comcast, the company now uses PPC EX6XLs. I didn't think to ask what brand of RG6 cable is used.

.Verizon has also stopped using slate gray colored cable ties. Now it is almost 100% black, with some neutral-colored due to the use of white jacketed RG6 cable.

I snapped a few post installation pictures. Will post them below.

Before (2)Before (2)After (2)After (2)After (3)After (3)

All in all, the conversion went smoothly and it was great being able to talk shop with someone after almost 8 years since being laid off from my long time C.O. Technician position.

The downside to the upgrade is that I'm no longer receiving my landline service from the Verizon 5E in my town. Despite my request to make no changes to my voice services, my line was moved to a softswitch, and, I lost use of the grandfathered Call Intercept feature. There is no suitable substitute for that offering under the Verizon Digital Voice platform. 

Who Me Too'd this topic
Modal Dialogue Title