Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Who Me Too'd this topic

Observer
Nickel Contributor
Nickel Contributor

IoT SSID on G3100

(2,923 Views)

When I associate devices with my Guest SSID on the G3100 (and extender), they are assigned IP addresses on a separate guest subnet (192.168.200.x, router is 192.168.200.1) and are isolated from my primary subnet.

When I associate devices with the newly supported IoT SSID on the G3100 (and extender), they are still assigned IP addresses on the primary subnet (192.168.1.x, router is 192.168.1.1) and are not isolated from my primary subnet.

If one of the objectives of an IoT "network" is to isolate IoT devices from my devices containing sensitive information, then associating IoT devices with my Guest SSID would appear to be a better choice.  Although this is counter-intuitive and exposes my guests to misbehavior by my IoT devices.  

Also, I did enjoy being able to review all my devices by SSID (Primary, Guest, and IoT).  And collapsing IoT and Guest loses something.

I'd appreciate hearing from others more experienced in networking.  I appreciate Verizon attempting to bring some network isolation features to the masses, but perhaps someone could explain why they would make this deliberate choice, since the newly supported IoT "network" reasonably suggested it would include some form of isolation.  (Going above my pay grade...  Why not create another subnet for the IoT SSID?  If IoT devices must directly communicate with one another, they should be able to, residing on their own subnet.  If an IoT device simply must be able to access a primary subnet device, then could a special route be created to accomplish that?)

Who Me Too'd this topic
Modal Dialogue Title