Forum access is pathetic
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

2+ minutes to post a response is pretty sad!!

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Forum access is pathetic
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The strange part is, the delay so far has been seemingly isolated to Verizon DSL/FiOS connections. I can immediately switch to my company's VPN or to a mobile phone and get immediate response.

In the past two days I've noticed the problem tends to be worse around 8PM Eastern. Even though my DSL has been a bit messed up, it looks like I'm seeing page hangs from the domains vrzn.i.lithium.com (serves a lot of static content for the forums). Tonight it seems that I am hitting some issues with the actual forums.verizon.com domain. The problem seems to come and go, similar to the issues I have with Gawker sites and their own CDN loading content at 1KB/s (which on sites like Kotaku, turns into a disaster really fast with the animated GIFs jamming up the comments).

The next time it happens I'll try to get a few traces of the loading activity from the browser.

View solution in original post

anonFios
Contributor - Level 2
I've noticed a huge slowdown recently as well.

But considering the overall performance of Fios this past year, it actually seems rather appropriate and fitting.
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Had the same issue about a week back.  One of the the CLs pushed it on some back door access to tech support they have and was fixed in about 10 minutes, maybe they could do it again??

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

Had the same issue about a week back.  One of the the CLs pushed it on some back door access to tech support they have and was fixed in about 10 minutes, maybe they could do it again??

OK

So now it works again, but why do we have to put up with minute + response times?

I see no answer that I can say was a vaild response as a fix, so why is the question/comment moved to "suggestions for this community"?

I think more preferable would be to move to "fix whatever keeps causing thsi issue"

as apparently it is now resolved without anybody commenting on what was causing the issue.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The strange part is, the delay so far has been seemingly isolated to Verizon DSL/FiOS connections. I can immediately switch to my company's VPN or to a mobile phone and get immediate response.

In the past two days I've noticed the problem tends to be worse around 8PM Eastern. Even though my DSL has been a bit messed up, it looks like I'm seeing page hangs from the domains vrzn.i.lithium.com (serves a lot of static content for the forums). Tonight it seems that I am hitting some issues with the actual forums.verizon.com domain. The problem seems to come and go, similar to the issues I have with Gawker sites and their own CDN loading content at 1KB/s (which on sites like Kotaku, turns into a disaster really fast with the animated GIFs jamming up the comments).

The next time it happens I'll try to get a few traces of the loading activity from the browser.

SteveVi
Enthusiast - Level 3

Forum perfomance is awful--funny when you consider that Verizon positions itself as a top tier high speed internet service provider.  I have 50Mbps FiOS service and it takes MINUTES for pages to load.  Doesn't do much to reduce the frustration level when you're looking for answers to problems. 

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

"Pathetic" is being kind.

Nothing shows up Vz's sheer incompetence than the design and performance of this Forum. 

I CANNOT log in at all using Firefox.  No matter how much I relax its security settings.

It has taken me four days FINALLY to be able to log in now on IE.  I had to undo EVERY SINGLE SECURITY SETTING on my IE and DELETE EVERY SINGLE COOKIE AND REMEMBERED EVERYTHING on my IE in order to be able to log in.

It is NOT POSSIBLE to log in to this forum if one has already logged in to My Verizon or webmail.verizon.net.

Before i finally tried one last time, I had emailed lithium to beg them to help, but they refused.  And I have noticed that ALL their forums absolutely stink.

Every move on this forum is incredibly slow.  It is designed to run a million useless scripts before doing what you want.

Sheer total incompetence.  Verizon runs this forum as if it were the Soviet Union.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

@glnz wrote:

"Pathetic" is being kind.

Nothing shows up Vz's sheer incompetence than the design and performance of this Forum. 

Before i finally tried one last time, I had emailed lithium to beg them to help, but they refused.  And I have noticed that ALL their forums absolutely stink.

I apologize for the issues you had in logging in to the forums.  While Lithium provides the forum platform, Verizon has total control over the registration and login process.  For that reason, Lithium was unable to provide any assistance with your login issue. 

Verizon has also posted an announcement on the home page of the forums about the login/registrations issue and that they are aware of the issue and are working to correct it.

0 Likes
glnzglnz
Contributor - Level 3

KaLin - Nice to see you here, but your explanation won't cut it.

This Forum has ALWAYS been terrible and has ALWAYS had severe log-in and response problems.  Nothing new at all.

This Forum needs a complete makeover - most especially by getting rid of Lithium.

0 Likes
ChrisB_VZ
VZ Employee Emeritus

Good afternoon,

As I mention in our email coorispondance, I worked with the Lithium team to come up with a recomendation on this issue. Your mention of cross-scripting rang a bell. The cross-site scripting warning comes from the NoScript extension. I checked mine, and I did have to manually enter an exclusion for the Verizon sign-in page at some point in the past. What you need to do is to open NoScript Options to the Advanced tab, and click the XSS tab. The following needs to be entered under Anti-XSS Protection Exceptions (including the caret), followed by clicking "OK":

^https://signin.verizon.com/sso/authsso/communityLogin.jsp

That should fix the issue.

What level of security do you select for your browsers typically?