Mark All as Read Option
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

This is mostly a curiousity question. When you want to mark all posts on a particular board as read you go to the board, select Board Options>Mark all Posts as Read, then you are directed to a confirmation page.

On the right hand side of the Verizon Community page, there is a "Mark all Posts in Community as Read" link. There is no confirm for this link. If you click it, everything is marked as read.

Why is there a confirm for an option affecting less posts that is harder to get to, but no confirm for a link that affects the entire community page that can be accidentally clicked?

I don't mind the current setup, I actually like it. I'm just wondering why the confirm for one and not the other. (Curiousity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back. Smiley Wink )

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mark All as Read Option
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

We have submitted it as an issue and have gotten word back that it will take a core change in the software.  They are now working on this, but it will probably take a software upgrade to fix it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@somegirl wrote:

This is mostly a curiousity question. When you want to mark all posts on a particular board as read you go to the board, select Board Options>Mark all Posts as Read, then you are directed to a confirmation page.

On the right hand side of the Verizon Community page, there is a "Mark all Posts in Community as Read" link. There is no confirm for this link. If you click it, everything is marked as read.

Why is there a confirm for an option affecting less posts that is harder to get to, but no confirm for a link that affects the entire community page that can be accidentally clicked?

I don't mind the current setup, I actually like it. I'm just wondering why the confirm for one and not the other. (Curiousity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought him back. Smiley Wink )

I think it is because some stupid developer decided that, because there is a choice for marking all as read or as new on a board while the other one only has the option to mark as read, Verizon just needed to protect us from ourselves. A really, really bad choice IMHO as I don't ever use the mark all Boards as read, but I do use the mark all read on an individual board frequently, and if I accidentally mark all as new I just go back in and mark them as read - very easy.

And really we now have two extra necessary steps when marking as read on a board: 1) confirm, and 2) then another step to go back to the primary page to view the list of all boards. Why in the world do I want to look at the list of threads on a given board again after I have just marked them all as read? Get rid of the confirm and take me directly back to the main page PLEASE. The only reason I can see to have it the way it is, is to drive up traffic on the forum website: extra clicks, extra traffic, more money to somebody I guess.

I have complained about this from the day the new format appeared but nothing has happened, really disappointed.

But life will go on with or without the change I guess Smiley Happy

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

We have submitted it as an issue and have gotten word back that it will take a core change in the software.  They are now working on this, but it will probably take a software upgrade to fix it.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@KaLin wrote:

Unbelievable!

When someone asks me to fix an error or provide a new or better way of doing things on the property owners association website I maintain, I generally do it in 1 to 2 days, never more than a week or so, and I am the only developer . Here it has been weeks and absolutely nothing has been done, and I presume you have a whole herd of developers.

KaLin, I am not blaming you or any of the other mods, please don't take offense. But the developers, whoever they work for, need to get a fire lit under their butts and actually do something. "Core change" is just their excuse for putting off doing a little work, it isn't a core change to fix a link or two and perhaps a Java-script or two.

I worked for IBM for 25 years and at one point Development decided to do something similer, put out an update every so many months incorporating all of the fixes up to same point in time, and pretty much not making any fixing available in between updates (sound familiar?). Boy, the customers let the developers (and those of us supporting the customers) know how stupid and unacceptable that was. To Development's credit, they changed the process pretty quickly. And this was 25 or so years ago, it is even more important these days to respond quickly to problems, even relatively minor ones like this.

As far as I know and see, not one single fix has been delivered to the forums since the new version rolled out. Not one!!! The only changes that I have seen at all is the change Kathy made to keep us from being logged out all the time, and if I read her post correctly, she did that, not a developer, and the new little box on the upper right of the community screen for logging in, marking everyhting read, etc., which I have used once and probably will never use again and that as far as I know nobody asked for.

One last thing: has anybody actually looked at the survey at the bottom of the community page? It is nearly dead-even, better and worse. That sure doesn't say much good about what has been done so far on the new site, and what they are doing (really not doing) to fix it.

OK, enough griping from me. I will give up I guess. But somebody really does need to push the developers of this site to respond.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
nmchileman
Master - Level 3

Hey man, I was the one who asked for the "Mark All Read" links on the front page.

{please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@nmchileman wrote:

Hey man, I was the one who asked for the "Mark All Read" links on the front page.

Bitter much?

{please keep your posts courteous}I have no interest in it. Simple.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@KaLin wrote:

Looks like the change went through. No more confirm pages. 🙂

Thanks for all the hard work taking care of us forum users!