Won't hurt your feelings?
gwhnewbie
When I get an email message from Verizon regarding something about a forum post, at the bottom of the email, it says something to the effect of "want to unsubscribe from our forums? Won't hurt our feelings" (I am paraphrasing here, except for the "won't hurt our feelings" part. Is this an attempt at humor? I guess? Is it humorous? Perhaps. Is it professional? NOT. It also gives the impression that Verizon doesn't care about what is posted in the forums, since it "won't hurt their feelings" if I unsubscribe. tsk tsk
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Won't hurt your feelings?
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The line as it appears in the email:

Don't want to receive emails from us? It's OK, you won't hurt our feelings. Just click here.

It is specifically referencing whether you want to receive emails from them, not unsubcribing from the forum. Personally, I appreciate the effort to make it so that I don't have to have emails cluttering my inbox if I would rather just check for new posts from the Forums page.

Also, I think it IS humorous. About dang time someone decided it's ok to make people smile sometimes.

View solution in original post

ElizabethS
Moderator Emeritus

I think it is meant to be a gentle and yes, lightly humorous way of saying no offense will be taken if you don't want to keep receiving emails.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

The line as it appears in the email:

Don't want to receive emails from us? It's OK, you won't hurt our feelings. Just click here.

It is specifically referencing whether you want to receive emails from them, not unsubcribing from the forum. Personally, I appreciate the effort to make it so that I don't have to have emails cluttering my inbox if I would rather just check for new posts from the Forums page.

Also, I think it IS humorous. About dang time someone decided it's ok to make people smile sometimes.

sHaY_j
Contributor - Level 3

Ditto to the statement somegirl made. You have to have a sense of humor sometimes.

0 Likes
gwhnewbie
O.K. I understand now that the reference was to unsubscribing to the emails and NOT to the forums themselves. I was thinking the message was that it wouldn't hurt Verizon's feelings if the customers unsubscribed from the forums, thereby cutting off their input to Verizon and that that would not hurt Verizon's feelings, implying Verizon didn't care if we the customers gave input or not. I think humor in the former case is O.K., whereas humor in the latter would be suspect (imho). Thanks for the clarification, somegirl. Others: it wasn't the general use of humor that I had a problem with, only the use that I misinterpreted due to not paying enough attention. Others: I also agree that humor, especially from large corporations, can be useful for many reasons.
0 Likes