Adding Verizon.Net email account to my Moto g7
pwcrickman

I am trying to add my verizon.net email account in the Mail app on my Moto g7.  I have tried using the POP3 settings (pop.verizon.net and smtp.verizon.net) and IMAP settings (imap.aol.com and smtp.verizon.net) after entering my username as [username]@verizon.net and email password.  I get either "Cannot connect to server" or "username/password incorrect" error messages when validating the incoming server settings.  

I can view / send / receive emails using a web browser from the phone or a computer so I know that the account information is correct.

Another thread on this forum mentioned resetting an AOL password which was producing the error.  I don't recall setting up an AOL password when my account was migrated from the original verizon servers.  

How do I troubleshoot this problem further without paying for AOL support?

0 Likes
Re: Adding Verizon.Net email account to my Moto g7
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hope this leads you to your answers

https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i-set-up-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-verizo...

I referenced above because of this

https://www.helpforsmartphone.com/public/en/motorola/moto-g7/android-9-0/guides/18/Set-up-Exchange-e...

Set up Exchange email - Motorola Moto G7
1 Before you start

Make sure you have the following information: 1. Your email address

2. Password

3. Username

4. Exchange server address

Internet must be set up before you start this guide.

0 Likes
pwcrickman

The Other option under Mail is the one I was trying. Using your second link, I tried setting it up under the Exchange option and I received a "You have already added this account" message after entering the verizon.net email address.  I believe this is because I had previously added my Google account which uses the verizon.net email address as the username.   I do not have a gmail email account.

Not sure why you recommended an Exchange account because this is a personal email - not business.

I still don't understand why the pop.verizon.net server does not accept my username and password unless the error message is generic and masking another problem.

Peter

0 Likes
WolfStock

Not sure if it works on Moto g7, but I got my Verizon.net account to work on Samsung Android's email app by selecting "Aol" from the list of email types when setting up the account.   I too could not get it to work using the "Other" type, but then noticed and tried Aol and it worked.

Good luck.

0 Likes
pwcrickman

Unfortunately an AOL option is not available in the Moto g7 Mail app.  However, when I tried adding an account today, I was able to get to the incoming server settings screen and enter my verizon.net email address, password, pop.verizon.net and port setting of 995, with security type SSL/TLS.  However I consistently get "Couldn't open connection to server" message when clicking Next.  When I changed the security type to SSL/TLS and accept all certificates, I get a "certificate not valid" error.

0 Likes
longtimevzcust
Enthusiast - Level 2

You may want to try turning on "Allow apps that use less secure sign in" in your AOL security settings.

0 Likes
pwcrickman

Not sure how to get to this setting.  My AOL account settings page does not include this option.

0 Likes