Re: Amount of Spam Has increased dramatically since switch to AOL Mail
TheBoozer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you Justin, your response certainly helps and I will try it.

Mike

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is automatically blocked is different than what Verizon blocked.  And they failed, at least for me, to carry over any of the blocks or filter rules.  Good news is the rules look to be a bit more flexible.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@tns_2 wrote:

What is automatically blocked is different than what Verizon blocked.  And they failed, at least for me, to carry over any of the blocks or filter rules.  Good news is the rules look to be a bit more flexible.

None of the blocks or rules you created? That is surprising and disappointing to me, 100% of mine were carried over to AOL mail. Though I wonder how many customers actually have rules they created that they want carried over?

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
catmcgowan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks, Verizon! Since their switch to AOL Mail, my "Inbox" has been saturated with SPAM messages; estimated average is 80 per day. And what is even more irritating is several messages that were not SPAM were sent to my SPAM folder. With my original Verizon filters settings, I rarely had SPAM messages in my "Inbox". With my AOL filters settings, no SPAM messages are filtered and sent to my SPAM folder (except for a rare few messages). The AOL filters are in serious need of improvements. First, the AOL filters need to work, period. The AOL filters also need a NOT setting; e.g., message's TO field does not contain my e-mail address, and "Inbox" needs to be added to the "Move to folder" list so messages that are erroneously moved to the "Spam" folder can be moved to the "Inbox" folder. Please, Verizon, fix the AOL Mail filters. Thank you.

JKennedy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Are ya'll getting SPAM SPAM or is it legit company email/ads (that you never asked for)?  I ask becasue I also started getting more of it after the port over.  I recall reading somewhere that part of the move included customizing marketting to you (us).  I think it was a fine print kind of thing that stuck in my head.  I was able to opt out and it happened pretty quick.

Although I am also getting legit SPAM that I hadn't had a problem with in the past.

The Verizon/AOL port-over has been bad news all the way around...

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@JKennedy wrote:

Are ya'll getting SPAM SPAM or is it legit company email/ads (that you never asked for)?  I ask becasue I also started getting more of it after the port over.  I recall reading somewhere that part of the move included customizing marketting to you (us).  I think it was a fine print kind of thing that stuck in my head.  I was able to opt out and it happened pretty quick.

Although I am also getting legit SPAM that I hadn't had a problem with in the past.

The Verizon/AOL port-over has been bad news all the way around...

Probably 80% spam spam, from sources like *@*.info, none of which I care about seeing.

Bad news? Not for me, I have ported 4 email accounts over just fine, all of my filters came over, and they or the builtin AOL spam filters themselves have been catching probably 98% of all of the stuff I don't want, and very few of the things I really do want to receive. I have added a couple of additional filters to catch some things I never bothered to catch while using Verizon email, and they work just fine.

No issues here at all with AOL mail, at least not yet.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@catmcgowan wrote:

Thanks, Verizon! Since their switch to AOL Mail, my "Inbox" has been saturated with SPAM messages; estimated average is 80 per day. And what is even more irritating is several messages that were not SPAM were sent to my SPAM folder. With my original Verizon filters settings, I rarely had SPAM messages in my "Inbox". With my AOL filters settings, no SPAM messages are filtered and sent to my SPAM folder (except for a rare few messages). The AOL filters are in serious need of improvements. First, the AOL filters need to work, period. The AOL filters also need a NOT setting; e.g., message's TO field does not contain my e-mail address, and "Inbox" needs to be added to the "Move to folder" list so messages that are erroneously moved to the "Spam" folder can be moved to the "Inbox" folder. Please, Verizon, fix the AOL Mail filters. Thank you.

A few thoughts:

1) The AOL filters work just fine for me, I have no idea why they wouldn't work for you. Can you give us a couple of examples of ones that don't work? 

2) I agree about the NOT provision, but the simple solution to that (for your email address only) is to add your email address to the bcc: filter, because I am pretty sure the only way you would be getting the email at all without your email in the To: field would be for your email address to be in the bcc: field (which you will never see).

3) Agreed, Inbox needs to be added to the move to folder list. Interestingly enough, a filter I had in Verizon email that had that setting ported over just fine, still shows inbox. Don't know if it will actually work though.

4) While AOL is a Verizon company, I don't think Verizon itself is going to do anything. Rather, I think you need to click on Options and select Send Us Your Feedback on the AOL webmail screen to even possibly get any attention to your requests.

Just some thoughts, good luck, FWIW AOL mail is working just fine for me so far (surprisingly).

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
rdunkleenr2d

Justin, I have not been changed over to the AOL EMail yet. I don't know if I will be in the future. But I have this *@*.info spam problem and so does my daughter whcih is a sub-account on my account. Will this filter trick work with us who are still at *.verizon.net?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@rdunkleenr2d wrote:

Justin, I have not been changed over to the AOL EMail yet. I don't know if I will be in the future. But I have this *@*.info spam problem and so does my daughter whcih is a sub-account on my account. Will this filter trick work with us who are still at *.verizon.net?

Unfortunately I don't know. I don't have an unmigrated account left so I cannot test, but I DON'T THINK that the Verizon email will accept the wildcard. Maybe someone else here knows, or you can always just try it and see if the dialog will accept that format. Sorry......

As to you eventually being migrated to AOL, I bet you will. I don't know where you are located, but Verizon owns AOL, and I suspect they have decided it is silly and expensive to have two separate email systems in the same corporation. So I think they just made a decision for AOL Mail to live, and Verizon email to eventually die. We are the first to migrate just because we are being sold off at the end of this month. Interestingly those of us who have migrated still have ***@verizon.net email addresses, and supposedly we will be able to keep them forever.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
rdunkleenr2d

No problem. I went ahead and started creating filters using the subject as the filter. The EMAILs all seem to have the same Subject for the most part. I did find something interesting though. I was just going to make a list of the Subject lines do I would open the EMAIL and copy the subject line. A couple of the subject lines had control characters enbedded in them like CR and a page break or that was what MS word thought they were. So I just coppied the subject line and went right into settings - filter and just pasted the subject line in the filter field.

Hope this works. Thanks for the info though.

0 Likes