Android Email Setup Failing
mgerbasio
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi,

I'm having a hard time setting up an email account for Verizon Fios on my Android Nexus 5 (T-Mobile). I keep getting the following error:

Problem with account setup

Username or password is incorrect

I verified both are correct. I don't have a Yahoo or AOL account, my settings are as follows:

Settings, Accounts, Add Account, IMAP, Email Account (enter email address), Manual Setup, POP3, Sign In Password, then I get to the point where I can edit the email settings and I use:

Username <emal address>

Password: <passowrd>

Server: pop.verizon,net (tired incoming.verizon.net but it didn't work)

Port 995

Security: SSL/TLS

Delete email from server: When I delete from inbox

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Android Email Setup Failing
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@mgerbasio wrote:

Hi,

I'm having a hard time setting up an email account for Verizon Fios on my Android Nexus 5 (T-Mobile). I keep getting the following error:

Problem with account setup

Username or password is incorrect

I verified both are correct. I don't have a Yahoo or AOL account, my settings are as follows:

Settings, Accounts, Add Account, IMAP, Email Account (enter email address), Manual Setup, POP3, Sign In Password, then I get to the point where I can edit the email settings and I use:

Username <emal address>

Password: <passowrd>

Server: pop.verizon,net (tired incoming.verizon.net but it didn't work)

Port 995

Security: SSL/TLS

Delete email from server: When I delete from inbox

Thanks.

It may not matter since I see you are setting POP3 later, but you shouldn't be selecting IMAP as the type of account. There should be a POP3 option there.

@Since you don't have a Yahoo linked account, your username shouldn't be your full email address, just the part before tha @ symbol.

For the sake of example, we are going to pretend that we are setting up fictional account "fakeacct@verizon.net" and the password for logging into that account in webmail is "fakepassword" - Again, this is a fictitious account for the sake of an example.

The settings for using Verizon's servers would be:
Incoming Server: pop.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes
Username: fakeacct
Password: fakepassword
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): Yes
Port: 995

Outgoing Server: smtp.verizon.net
Server Requires Authentication: Yes (You can set it to use the same settings as incoming, or manually enter the username and password.)
Requires a Secure Connection (SSL): Yes
Port: 465

If you are given the option anywhere for Secure Password Authentication (SPA), set it to No or Normal

If all of that is set up and it's still not working, your best bet is to provide a screenshot of your settings (with personal information blocked/removed) and any errors you are getting.

0 Likes
mgerbasio
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks. I tried everything you suggested but no luck. I'll wait and see if things get fixed when the latest version of Android is released.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

No reason to wait for a new version for Android email.

Somegirl gave you the correct settings.

Start over making sure to NOT specify IMAP.  Specify POP  and note that the USERID for those not using YAHOO/verizon interface is without the @verizon.net.

0 Likes
mgerbasio
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm running the deveopler preview of 5.0 so waiting on the final release is the best option.

I posted my settings and verified it against somegirl's settings and it didn't work which I noted. Tried several times. To set up pop, you need to first pick imap, then you can set pop or imap. Tried with and without verizon.net as i had mentioned.

Either Verizon has a problem or itis related to the version of Android and probably the latter. I'll live with it for now as the final version should be out in a couple of weeks.

Regards-Michael G.

0 Likes