AOL SMTP Servers capping message size to less than 1MByte?
KahunaNoKaOi
Enthusiast - Level 1

I suspect that AOL has imposed a rather arbitrary (and small) cap on the size of sent SMTP messages with attachments.

On most of my machines I run Mozilla Thunderbird client under Windoze 7 and have successfully migrated all of these to send and receive via the new AOL servers.  However, I was unable to send a 1.5MByte attached jpeg photo to 3 recipients yesterday.  No error, no nothing ... just dropped off into the bit bucket I presume.  I am able to send  the very same message via other email accounts (private servers, company servers, yahoo, MS Outlook, etc).  I know that the Verizon email farm had somewhat generous limits on message size (10MByte?,  up to 50 addresses?, etc.).  It seems that this AOL email server migration is not quite the improvement that was advertised  Smiley Mad

Jack - 34209

0 Likes
Re: AOL SMTP Servers capping message size to less than 1MByte?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Aol size reported says is larger.  I think 25MB.  Verizon's was 20MB. No specific limit as attachment size in either case as they don't care.  Its total message size.  They may not be able to display large attachments using webmail.

Couldn't quickly find what their limit was for number of addresses.  Verizon is

"Limitations on Sending Emails

The following limits apply to the sending of Email from your verizon.net Email account. These limits are in place to help fight spam (i.e., unsolicited Email) and apply to each sub-account separately.

• You may not include more than 100 recipients in a single Email. Messages will not be sent to any recipients if the Email has more than 100 recipients.
  • You may not exceed a total of 500 recipients or 500 Emails in 1 hour.
  • You may not exceed a total of 2000 Emails per 24 hour period.
Exceeding 500 recipients or Emails in 1 hour or 2000 Emails in a 24 hour period will result in the suspension of your ability to send Email for 24 hours.  This does not affect your ability to receive Email.  Verizon may also take other appropriate technical and legal steps to prevent spam and abnormal volumes of Emails and spam from our network.  For more information on Verizon's efforts to fight spam, please see the Verizon Anti-Spam policy at: https://business.verizon.com/MyBusinessAccount/one.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=gb_policy&page_id=an... "
0 Likes
Re: AOL SMTP Servers capping message size to less than 1MByte?
Justin46
Legend

@KahunaNoKaOi wrote:

I suspect that AOL has imposed a rather arbitrary (and small) cap on the size of sent SMTP messages with attachments.

On most of my machines I run Mozilla Thunderbird client under Windoze 7 and have successfully migrated all of these to send and receive via the new AOL servers.  However, I was unable to send a 1.5MByte attached jpeg photo to 3 recipients yesterday.  No error, no nothing ... just dropped off into the bit bucket I presume.  I am able to send  the very same message via other email accounts (private servers, company servers, yahoo, MS Outlook, etc).  I know that the Verizon email farm had somewhat generous limits on message size (10MByte?,  up to 50 addresses?, etc.).  It seems that this AOL email server migration is not quite the improvement that was advertised  Smiley Mad

Jack - 34209

I have no idea what your problem might be, except maybe it is the email server(s) on the other end refusing or discarding a large email.

I just did a test; I sent two emails from one migrated account to another migrated account.

As you can see, both were successful, one at 1.9MB and one at 29MB (I was surprised it went!). The first test was one picture attached, the second was a bunch of pictures attached.

I then sent the same large message to an email address I have outside Verizon and AOL, message was sent, after 15 minutes or so it has not been delivered. I know it left my system, the message appears in my Sent folder and the Outbox is empty. No error messages. Don't if this means anything or not since it might show up tonight or tomorrow, or of course never. Smiley Very Happy

I am using Windows Live Mail, don't see why that would make a difference, but you never know.....

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes