Re: Cannot access verizon email while overseas
shep123
@chkr wrote:

At least there is an alternative: the FIOS Mobile app email works.

The FiOS Mobile App works!? This seems to be new information. Has this just happened? If true, it's great news. 

0 Likes
david12b

the fios mobile app does not work. I just spent six frustrating days overseas and could not get the app or email to work or get help to fix it. Very Frustrating Verizon !!!!!

0 Likes
ForumScreenName
Enthusiast - Level 1
Hi,

I can confirm ability to send and receive email via the My FiOS mobile app on my iPad while on non-US net and in state of NOT being able to send and receive via SMTP/POP because I'm not on US net.

That said, email in the My FiOS app is not a good experience, email with large HTML content is not easily readable as the app fights against your ability to scroll down to lower portion of HTML content and so makes clicking on links in that content very difficult.

- Turks and Caicos User
FPNova
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a daughter that is an expat living in Spain and have had this problem when visiting her since the fall of 2014, and I have now discovered that this is when this thread started.  Accessing email via my cell phone works, but none of my devices can access my email account via a WiFI connection over the Internet.  After my second trip with this persistent problem I found this thread.  I am thankful to those who posted here for this information, so that I did not need to waste time on the phone with Verizon trying to resolve this issue.

It is a truly sad state of affairs as well as a clear and very negative reflection of the lack of competition in the US telecom industry.  Blaming it on "security" is a pure cop-out.  Others manage to protect their infrastructure just fine.  This is an economic choice that Verizon has made simply to not spend the money to protect their infrastructure since they don't have to spend it; absent real competition in the duopoly of the US telecom market they can get away with such practices with relative impunity.

I commend the FCC and Chairman Tom Wheeler for taking a stand in their recent action to regulate Internet access as a public utility.  When ISP's become non-service-providers in such silly ways as this, they only serve to shine a bright light on the need for such regulation.

Kestrel3
Contributor - Level 2

I just got back from a trip to the UK and could not access my Verizon email account the entire time, either with a local UK phone number on an Android mobile phone or with local wi-fi on an iPhone.   Another big issue was that I didn't realize that I wasn't getting the Verizon emails until several days in, because no error was given, and all 3 of my other email account services through other companies were working perfectly on both devices.

One more issue is that a family member's Apple ID account uses a Verizon email address, so we were unable to use iMessage on that ios device as well.

This is a ridiculous issue that I never even thought could be a problem, which is another reason I didn't notice or bother to check earlier.  I mean, it's the internet, it's global, right? Why block access from other countries?

Also, I just received an email from Verizon saying that their email server settings have changed, but the new settings are the ones I have already been using for years, so not sure what they are doing or what this means.

djb5
Contributor - Level 3

I know I have still not seen a notice from Verizon (for instance on my billing statement or by direct mail of any sort) telling me that they no longer offer email service when outside the US. Amazing to me that it's been more than 6 months without a notice to customers. I do get notices about TV channel changes, which seems like far less important information.

Has anyone received a notice that Verizon no longer offers overseas access to email? Sure seems like people should kow that before having a problem once they're away from home. (and no, I don't mean posts on forums, customers shouldn't have to keep watching forums to see if there are changes in their service).

This is a bit of a rant, I know, but seriously, I am wondering if I've just missed a notice?

0 Likes
CPRitter
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am cautiously going to defend Verizon on this issue.

Verizon claims that they block non-US IP addresses for security reasons.  Some on this forum claim that it is for economic reasons, that Verizon does not want to spend money to strengthen their security.  I suggest that Verizon is being truthful.  Blocking or allowing IP addresses is as simple as entering those IP addresses into a table.  It might cost a few dollars in labor.  There are reports on this forum of Verizon unblocking specific IP addresses for customers travelling overseas so I believe that I am correct.  I suspect that there are two main reasons for blocking non-US IP addresses.  One is that a large percentage of attacks originate from outside the US.  The second is that at any given time, most customers are not out of the US so only a small percentage of customers are affected and then only for a relatively short time.  That doesn't console those who are affected, however.

A solution is to use a VPN service which has a US presence.  See my post on that subject elsewhere in this thread.  I have had success this way.  But Those With Bad Intent also know about using that approach to "fool" Verizon.  And Verizon certainly knows about it too.  So Verizon could and might very well attempt to block the US IP addresses of these VPN tunnels for the same security reasons they block non-US IP addresses.  But to do so, they would have to learn what those IP addresses are.  There are ways to do this, even without the VPN services' cooperation, but it might be difficult to learn them all.  So I would suggest that people try one or more VPN services.  Some have free trial offers so it would cost nothing to see if it works for you.

ddstephens
Enthusiast - Level 1

No.

0 Likes
ddstephens
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was in Thailand in January 2015 and had the same inability to access my email account. I would receive emails sporadically on my phone, but could not send or reply. I also could not sign into my email account over the internet at all. I think I could get to my services account so I could pay my bill. Apparently, Verizon has no security issues on that end. I am going to Europe for a month in May/June. The only truly workable option I could find is to set up a gmail account and have my Verizon mail forwarded to that account. The only drawback is that the email won't stay on the Verizon server, but I don't see that as much of drawback. Have I overlooked something in this scenario? I don't understand why Verizon's email program is so hard to use anytime. Connstantly have to re-sign in. Often get message on phone that sign in failed, even when I can open email and it's fine. Search tool doesn't work. All this points up how important our email accounts are to us these days. I am counting the months until this contract is up and then back to old provider. This experience only affirms the old adage about getting what you pay

0 Likes
Re: Cannot access verizon email while overseas I am in the UK and cannot access webmail, why?
harborgroup

I am in the UK and cannot access webmail, why?

0 Likes